China sentences 58 in mine landslide caseSeptember 30th, 2010 - 10:41 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 30 (IANS) Fifteen courts in China Thursday handed down sentences to 58 people after they were held responsible for a landslide at an illegal iron ore mine that killed 277 people in 2008.
Of the 58 convicted in Shanxi province, 34 were government officials, China Daily reported.
Zhang Peiliang, the mine owner, received the death penalty with a two-year reprieve.
He was sentenced for illegally purchasing and selling up to 4,400 kg explosives, illegally operating the mine and paying bribes of over 20 million yuan ($3 million) by the Intermediate People’s Court in Linfen city.
Duan Bo, former police head of Yuncheng city, was sentenced to life imprisonment for taking bribes of over 24 million yuan ($3.6 million) by the Intermediate People’s Court of Taiyuan city.
Zhou Jie, Linfen city’s former vice mayor, was sentenced to 12 years in prison for taking bribes of more than 2.3 million yuan ($343,796) by the Intermediate People’s Court of Shuozhou city.
The others were each sentenced to terms of between one year to up to 20 years imprisonment for either taking bribes or dereliction of duty.
A pile of iron ore collapsed at the mine Sep 8, 2008, triggering a landslide that destroyed a village, killing 277 people.
- Chinese policeman jailed for life over bribe - Jun 15, 2012
- China jails 14 people in tainted milk case - Apr 30, 2011
- Ex-cop and brother jailed for running mafia in China - Jan 21, 2012
- China: 11 workers confirmed dead in Changzhi mine accident - Apr 17, 2012
- Chinese man sentenced to death in demolition case - Feb 01, 2011
- Former Chinese governor gets life imprisonment for bribery - Apr 09, 2011
- Elevator crashes at mine in eastern China, killing 13 - Mar 17, 2012
- Top Chinese official jailed for bribery - Dec 08, 2011
- Five jailed for duping Chinese civil service candidate - Apr 26, 2012
- Two Chinese officials executed for bribery - Jul 19, 2011
- Nine jailed in China for mine flood that killed 38 - Jun 18, 2012
- Chinese student gets life sentence for killing teacher - Jan 14, 2009
- China mine safety official gets life for bribe - Nov 18, 2010
- Chinese court jails Rio Tinto employees - Mar 29, 2010
- Iron ore export eating away resources: Justice Shah - Sep 17, 2011
Tags: 6 million, beijing, bribes, china daily, china sentences, death penalty, dereliction of duty, duan, explosives, government officials, iron ore, landslide, life imprisonment, linfen, police head, reprieve, taiyuan, vice mayor, yuan, zhou jie