China selects pandas to woo tourists for OlympicsApril 15th, 2008 - 4:15 pm ICT by admin
Guangzhou, April 15 (Xinhua) Eight giant pandas, all of two years of age will leave their hometown in southwest China for Beijing next month to entertain tourists during the Olympic Games to be held in August. The giant pandas, which belong to the Wolong-based China Giant Panda Protection and Research Centre in Sichuan Province, are set to depart May 24 and arrive in the national capital after a three-hour flight, organisers of the programme announced Monday.
They will be on display at the Beijing Zoo until November, and are expected to attract more than six million tourists from home and abroad during the six-month show. The zoo has already begun to upgrade its facilities to accommodate the additional animals.
Pure water and fresh bamboo leaves will be prepared during the flight, and air conditioning will maintain a comfortable temperature for the bears, according to Guangdong-based China Southern Airlines.
To ensure the animals’ health and safety, Wolong will send around eight panda keepers, vets and technicians to help take care of them during their stay at Beijing.
- China's 'spoilt' pandas - Jun 18, 2011
- 'Olympics panda' born in China - Jul 29, 2012
- China loans two pandas to Canada - Feb 12, 2012
- Panda still endangered despite baby boom - Sep 03, 2010
- China creates special hospital for pandas - May 05, 2011
- Chinese giant pandas to fly to Paris - Jan 10, 2012
- Chinese pandas are Scotland's new celebrity couple - Dec 04, 2011
- Panda Quan Quan's death blamed on gas poisoning - Jul 28, 2010
- Panda numbers increase in China - Dec 17, 2011
- Panda twins born in China - Jul 11, 2012
- Olympic pandas return home after Beijing mission - Mar 23, 2009
- US-born panda Hua Mei gives birth to her 8th cub in China - Sep 20, 2010
- Pandas sent to the wild in China - Jan 12, 2012
- Thunderstorm grounds over 100 flights in China - Apr 28, 2012
- Chinese pandas spotted eating bones rather than bamboo (Lead, Changing Dateline) - Mar 02, 2010
Tags: animals health, bamboo leaves, beijing zoo, china southern airlines, giant panda, giant pandas, guangdong, guangzhou, health and safety, may 24, olympic games, organisers, panda, pandas, sichuan province, southwest china, tourists, vets, wolong, xinhua