China reports fifth bird flu death in 2009January 27th, 2009 - 1:03 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Jan.27 (ANI): An 18-year-old man died from bird flu on Monday in south China’’s Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, the fifth human death from the H5N1 virus in China this year.
According to a press release posted on the website of the Ministry of Health, the man surnamed Liang fell ill on January 19 in Beiliu City of Guangxi.
Liang was transferred to Yulin Municipal Red Cross Hospital on January 24. He died on Monday.
A Xinhua report said that the young man tested positive for the H5N1 strain of avian influenza, according to the test result on Monday from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.
Guangxi has launched an emergency response against the virus. Those who had close contact with the patient are under medical observation. No one has been found ill so far.
The ministry said it had reported the case to the World Health Organization and informed the health authorities of China’’s Hong Kong and Macao special administrative regions.
Previously, China had reported six human bird flu cases this year, including four deaths. The first death was a 19-year-old woman in Beijing on January 5, followed by a 27-year-old woman in Shandong on January 17, a 16-year-old boy in Hunan on January 20, a 31-year-old woman in Xinjiang on January 23. A 2-year-old girl in north China’’s Shanxi Province who was critically ill with the disease was out of danger Friday after her vital signs remained stable for six consecutive days.
A 29-year-old man who had been confirmed as infected with bird flu in southwest China’’s Guizhou Province on Sunday is still in critical condition, local authorities said.
Shandong and Shanxi ended the emergency response to bird flu on Saturday and Sunday separately. (ANI)
- Man dies of bird flu in China - Jan 23, 2012
- Chinese man dies of bird flu - Dec 31, 2011
- China has 49,000 centenarians: Survey - Nov 08, 2011
- Chinese woman dies of bird flu - Jun 05, 2010
- Woman dies of bird flu in China - Jan 19, 2009
- China executes South African woman for drug smuggling - Dec 12, 2011
- Chinese man's mistresses jump into river for BMW - Jan 06, 2011
- Wei Yun kept in cage for more than 20 years - Mar 08, 2012
- 70 students suffer from food poisoning in China - Jun 25, 2010
- China sentences three to death for killing tax official, family - Nov 11, 2011
- Man kills girlfriend by stabbing over 30 times - Sep 29, 2011
- Ex-convicts find jobs - Mar 27, 2012
- Two swine flu deaths in Orissa (Lead) - Aug 02, 2010
- World's largest medicinal botanic garden in China - Dec 09, 2011
- First swine flu death in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: administrative regions, autonomous region, bird flu, center for disease control, center for disease control and prevention, chinese center, disease control and prevention, flu cases, guizhou province, h5n1 virus, health authorities, human death, local authorities, north china, red cross hospital, shanxi province, south china, southwest china, vital signs, world health organization