China rejects US’ offer to host trilateral talks with Japan over Diaoyu IslandsNovember 3rd, 2010 - 5:39 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Nov 3 (ANI): Beijing has rejected America’s offer to host trilateral talks with China and Japan over the Diaoyu Islands.
According to China Daily, China reiterated its sovereignty over the islands and made it clear it is a bilateral issue between Beijing and Tokyo.
“The territorial dispute between China and Japan over the Diaoyu Islands is the business of the two nations only,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said in a statement published on the ministry’s website.
“It is absolutely wrong for the United States to repeatedly claim the Diaoyu Islands fall within the scope of the US-Japan Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security,” Ma added, reiterating that the Diaoyu Islands and adjacent islets are an inalienable part of China’s territory.
Ma had made the remarks after US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi about Washington’s interest in hosting trilateral talks over the issue, last week in Hanoi.
“The offer that I made, that the US would be willing to host a trilateral with both Japan and China if that would facilitate dialogue, stands and it is not only about one issue,” Clinton had said earlier.
Relations between Beijing and Tokyo have been under intense strain since collisions between two Japan Coast Guard patrol boats and a Chinese trawler on Sept 7 in waters off the Diaoyu Islands in the East China Sea.
Beijing suspended all high-level contacts with Tokyo after Japan illegally detained the Chinese trawler’s captain. (ANI)
- China rejects Japan's demand for damaged vessels' reimbursement - Feb 12, 2011
- Chinese daily warns of China, Japan `full confrontation' - Sep 13, 2012
- Chinese ships patrol disputed islands - Sep 14, 2012
- China warns Japan over purchase of disputed islands - Sep 11, 2012
- US sides with China's opponents, says daily - Sep 19, 2012
- Japan to buy disputed islands - Sep 05, 2012
- China urges Japan to stop territorial sovereignty violations - Aug 17, 2012
- Japan releases Chinese activists as territorial row simmers - Aug 17, 2012
- `Island row will damage Japan's trade ties with China' - Sep 19, 2012
- China must teach Japan a lesson, says Chinese daily - Sep 12, 2012
- Japan drops plans to make 'aggressive' China key part of its new foreign policy - Nov 18, 2010
- Visa row between India, China ahead of Singh-Jiabao meet - Oct 27, 2010
- India, China should handle Vietnam oil issue with sensitivity: Chinese analyst - Sep 26, 2011
- India backs trilateral dialogue with US, China - Feb 07, 2012
- Japan says will release Chinese vessel skipper - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: beijing, china daily, chinese foreign minister, coast guard, collisions, dialogue, diaoyu islands, east china sea, foreign ministry spokesman, hanoi, hillary clinton, islets, japan coast, mutual cooperation, patrol boats, secretary of state, sovereignty, territorial dispute, trawler, us secretary of state