China razes controversial sex theme park before it opensMay 18th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 18 (IANS) China has demolished a planned sex theme park, the first in the country, which aimed at improving sex education and sex life of visitors to the southwestern city of Chongqing. The demolition followed a growing public outcry, media reports said Monday.
The park named ‘Love Land’ was due to open in October. It featured statues and replicas of giant genitalia, naked bodies and an exhibition on the history of sex.
It was also to offer workshops on sex technique and safe-sex methods, but the plans left Chongqing officials red-faced, the China Daily reported.
The officials called the planned park “vulgar, ill-minded and misleading”, the newspaper said.
Before it was demolished, the park’s manager Lu Xiaoqing told the newspaper that sex is a “taboo subject in China but people really need to have more access to information about it”.
“We are building the park for the good of the public. I have found that the majority of people support my idea, but I have to pay attention and not make the park look vulgar and nasty.”
The park had been in controversy for a long time as many in fast-living Chongqing criticised the plans of displaying sex in public.
- China's first sex-themed park set to open - May 15, 2009
- China's nude bathhouse reopens despite public outcry - Jun 09, 2009
- China's first-ever sex-theme park torn down before opening - May 18, 2009
- China busts gang for selling gutter oil - May 05, 2012
- Apex court slams civic officials for illegal constructions - Jun 01, 2011
- UP government races to restore Mayawati statue - Jul 27, 2012
- Schwarzenegger immortalised in bronze - Sep 27, 2011
- Prime accused in Mayawati statue vandalism held (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- China loans two pandas to Canada - Feb 12, 2012
- Chinese microblogs closed for spreading porn - Nov 01, 2011
- Chinese region eyes 15 mn tourists by 2015 - Jun 27, 2012
- China to lay bare birth control at museum - Dec 19, 2011
- Mayawati's statue vandalised, BSP warns of consequences - Jul 26, 2012
- Parker, CO man indicted for contributing to airborne release of asbestos - Apr 16, 2010
- Row over re-installation of demolished statues of Telugu icons - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: beijing, china daily, controversy, demolition, history of sex, improving sex, lu, naked bodies, public outcry, razes, replicas, safe sex, sex education, sex life, sex methods, sex technique, southwestern city, statues, taboo subject, theme park