China quake toll rises to 32,477May 18th, 2008 - 7:35 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 18 (Xinhua) The toll in Monday’s devastating earthquake in China rose to 32,477 Sunday, the emergency response office of the State Council said. The quake, measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, jolted the south-western province of Sichuan May 12. According to officials, 220,109 people were injured.
In Sichuan alone, 31,978 people were killed and 209,905 injured since Monday.
The emergency office estimates that the toll in Deyang and Mianyang cities of the province was 10,341 and 11,874, respectively.
The toll in Gansu Province was 364, in Shaanxi Province 113, in Chongqing Municipality 16, while two in Henan Province and one each in Yunnan, Hubei, Guizhou and Hunan Provinces.
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
- China braces for heavy rains - May 20, 2012
- 175 killed in China floods - Jun 20, 2011
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- Four killed in China bus crash - Feb 01, 2012
- China spends $79 mn from lottery on poor - Jan 27, 2012
- Over 1.5 mn people affected in China floods - Jul 15, 2011
- Hailstorms in China leave 29 dead, devastate homes - Apr 22, 2012
- 15 die as rain, floods wreak havoc in China (Lead) - Jul 09, 2010
- China to shut hundreds of coal mines - Jul 31, 2012
- 14 Chinese kids rescued from human traffickers - Mar 11, 2012
- 50 dead, 42 missing in China floods - Jun 30, 2012
- Freezing cold sweeps China - Jan 26, 2012
- 100,000 snowed in people evacuated in southwest China - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: beijing, chongqing, devastating earthquake, earthquake in china, emergency office, emergency response office, guizhou, hubei, hunan provinces, mianyang, municipality, office estimates, quake toll, richter scale, shaanxi, sichuan, south western province, xinhua