China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead)September 7th, 2012 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 7 (IANS) At least 64 people have been confirmed dead and 715 others injured after multiple earthquakes struck a mountainous region in China’s Yunnan province Friday, the province’s civil affairs department said.
The 5.7 magnitude earthquake hit the border area of Yiliang county of Yunnan and Weining county of Guizhou at 11.19 a.m. and the depth of its epicentre was about 14 km, Xinhua reported.
Over 100,000 people have been evacuated in Yunnan, said an official with the province’s civil affairs department in the afternoon.
All the victims were from Zhaotong city.
Preliminary investigation showed that more than 20,000 houses were damaged or had collapsed in the quake, the official said.
The provincial seismological bureau said as of 1 p.m. the area had been stricken by 16 aftershocks, with the strongest one measuring magnitude-5.6.
Authorities were transporting thousands of tents, quilts and coats to the quake-hit area. So far, no casualties have been reported in Guizhou province, but the quake has also damaged or even toppled homes in Weining county, Chen Bo, an official said earlier in the day.
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Five die in China quake - Sep 07, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 67; over 700 injured - Sep 08, 2012
- China quake toll rises to 25 - Mar 11, 2011
- Earthquake shakes China's Yunnan province - Sep 07, 2012
- China quake: Toll rises to 80 (Lead) - Sep 08, 2012
- 35 injured, 64,500 affected in China quake (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Four injured in China quake - Jun 21, 2011
- Two dead, 100 injured in China quake - Jun 24, 2012
- At least 19 dead, 168 injured injured after quake devastates SW China county - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,