China punishes 16 officials for school bus accidentAugust 2nd, 2012 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 2 (IANS) Sixteen officials in a northwest China city have been punished for a school bus crash that killed 19 kindergarten students last year, authorities announced Thursday.
The punished officials include Zhang Longjie, head of Zhengning county in Qingyang city, Lu Huadong, Qingyang’s education chief, and Zhang Yufeng, former head of Qingyang’s traffic police, according to an official statement.
It said the punishments ranged from warnings to revocations of party and government posts, but did not specify the punishment meted out to each official, reported Xinhua.
Those who were also found to be responsible will face criminal charges, the statement said.
Nineteen pre-schoolers and two adults died after the school bus they boarded - a nine-seat van carrying 64 passengers - collided head-on with a coal truck in Zhengning last November.
The accident garnered national attention, prompting authorities to order a school transportation overhaul, especially in rural areas where safety rules are not usually well enforced.
Li Jungang, board chairman of the Little Doctor Kindergarten as well as the owner of the school bus, was sentenced to seven years in prison by a court July 20.
- China kindergarten head jailed for school bus accident - Jul 21, 2012
- Four officials sacked as 18 kids die in accident - Nov 17, 2011
- Minibus carrying preschoolers collides with truck in NW China, killing 20 - Nov 16, 2011
- 18 school kids killed in China accident - Nov 16, 2011
- Chinese province school buses to have GPS - Feb 24, 2012
- China cracks down on high kindergarten fees - Jan 04, 2012
- 19 dead in South Africa road accident - Dec 28, 2011
- School Bus Takes Wrong Students To Field Trip - May 21, 2010
- Six hacked to death in China - Sep 14, 2011
- 'Remove TV from kids' rooms to tackle obesity' - Apr 07, 2012
- One killed as school bus collides with mini-truck - Feb 05, 2012
- Four Chinese kids killed in school bus fire - Jun 12, 2012
- 14 killed in Tamil Nadu bus accident - Sep 05, 2011
- Kids punished harshly fumble at tasks - Jul 27, 2011
- Kids' temper tantrums could signal mental illness - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: board chairman, china city, coal truck, criminal charges, education chief, government posts, jungang, kindergarten students, national attention, northwest china, pre schoolers, punishments, s education, safety rules, school bus accident, school bus crash, school transportation, seat van, traffic police, xinhua