China protests Danish meetings with Dalai LamaMay 30th, 2009 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, May 30 (Xinhua) China Saturday protested over Danish government officials’ meeting with the Dalai Lama, saying it “severely damaged the country’s core interest”.
“China is strongly dissatisfied with and protests over the meetings with the Dalai Lama by Danish officials,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said in a statement.
Qin’s comments came a day after Danish Prime Minister Lars Loekke Rasmussen and Foreign Minister Per Stig Moeller met the Tibetan spiritual leader in Copenhagen.
“Disregarding China’s solemn representations, they insisted on meeting with the Dalai Lama, who was campaigning secessionist activities, and that meetings severely harmed China’s core interest and China-Denmark relations, and destructed friendly cooperation between China and Denmark,” Qin said.
China has accused the Dalai Lama of wanting to establish an independent Tibet, and has warned foreign governments not to meet with the spiritual leader.
The spokesman said China urged Denmark to respect the country’s solemn position and concern, and observe the one-China policy.
“Denmark should take concrete actions to correct its wrongdoings on Tibet-related issues, eliminate the negative impacts and make efforts for the healthy and steady development of China-Denmark relations,” Qin said.
The Dalai Lama, who lives in India, will travel to France and Poland in coming weeks.
Relations between China and France soured last year after a meeting between French President Nicolas Sarkozy and the Tibetan leader.
- China warns US on exploiting Tibet issue - Jan 12, 2012
- Obama to meet Dalai Lama on Feb 18 despite China's opposition - Feb 12, 2010
- 'Dalai Lama deserves Bharat Ratna' - Jun 11, 2012
- US confirms Dalai-Obama meet, China says scrap it (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- Chinese groups oppose Paris mayor's plan to honor Dalai Lama - Jun 03, 2009
- Don't hold Obama-Dalai Lama meeting: China - Jul 16, 2011
- Don't hold Dalai Lama-Obama meeting, China tells US - Feb 12, 2010
- Italy meeting of Dalai Lama draws China ire - Nov 20, 2009
- Nirupama Rao talks with Dalai Lama (Third Lead) - Jul 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama finally relinquishes political powers (Lead) - May 30, 2011
- Indian foreign secretary meets Dalai Lama - Jun 07, 2012
- Czech deputy PM concerned over Tibet situation - Mar 02, 2012
- Obama-Dalai Lama meet undermines US as major power: Chinese daily - Jul 18, 2011
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Self-immolations: China warns Dalai Lama - Mar 07, 2012
Tags: china policy, concrete actions, core interest, dalai lama, danish government, danish prime minister, foreign minister, foreign ministry spokesman, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, independent tibet, moeller, nicolas sarkozy, president nicolas sarkozy, qin, rasmussen, secessionist, tibetan leader, tibetan spiritual leader, xinhua