China promises to investigate how alleged fake pills reached BritainJanuary 8th, 2009 - 4:42 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 8 (ANI): Chinas drug watchdog has promised to investigate how alleged counterfeit pills, which were made in China, ended up being used by the British National Health Service (NHS).
We will conduct relevant investigations and will surely punish companies or individuals who manufacture fake pharmaceuticals for export, Yan Jiangying, spokeswoman with State Food and Drug Administration (SFDA), said on Wednesday.
If we find any clues of illegal medicine production for export, we will track them down, Xinhua quoted the spokeswoman, as saying.
Earlier, The Guardian newspaper reported on January 4, counterfeiting gangs based in China produced some eight million fake pills, which went to NHS patients last year.
Chinese police authorities recently traveled to London to discuss the growing problem, The Guardian said.
Yan reiterated Chinas resolution to crackdown on importing or exporting fake medicines. She emphasized that the government adopted international principles and practices to regulate the issue.
According to Chinese laws, medicine exporters should acquire government-issued certificates to run their business. Exported pills should be accompanied by permission papers for sales in accordance with requirements of the World Health Organization (WHO).
The spokeswoman said foreign pharmaceutical traders should cooperate with certified Chinese partners to ensure qualified and safe medicines. (ANI)
- China busts counterfeit drug racket - Dec 30, 2011
- Fake medicines worth $30 mn seized in China - Nov 01, 2011
- China jails eight for selling fake sex pills - Nov 09, 2011
- China busts multi-million-dollar fake drugs racket - Nov 29, 2011
- China vows to tackle counterfeit drugs - Dec 20, 2011
- China seizes over 33,000 illegal drug ads - Apr 17, 2012
- Fake eye drug affects over 60 Chinese - Sep 24, 2010
- 96 Chinese held in fake medicine racket - Nov 30, 2011
- Monitor cases treated for using fake drugs: Kalam - Oct 03, 2011
- Global fake sex pills racket busted in New Zealand - Jan 27, 2011
- Chinese drug passes US clinical trials for first time - Aug 07, 2010
- No breast implant ruptures reported in China - Jan 07, 2012
- 76 officials punished over medicine scandal in China - Aug 04, 2012
- Fake items worth over $300 mn seized in China - Nov 17, 2011
- China regulates sex medicine sale through internet - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: british national health service, chinese laws, chinese partners, chinese police, crackdown, fake medicines, fake pharmaceuticals, food and drug administration, gangs, guardian newspaper, international principles, medicine exporters, national health service, police authorities, sfda, spokeswoman, state food, watchdog, world health organization, xinhua