China postpones EU summit in protest at Dalai Lama visitNovember 26th, 2008 - 9:06 pm ICT by IANS
Brussels, Nov 26 (DPA) China has postponed a summit with the European Union (EU) planned for Monday in protest at a visit of the Dalai Lama to Europe, diplomats in Brussels said Wednesday.The Chinese government has asked for the summit to be put back because the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader is set to meet a number of European leaders at a gathering of Nobel Peace Prize winners called by the founder of Poland’s Solidarity trade union, Lech Walesa, an EU statement said.
The EU had “set ambitious objectives” for the summit, planned at the French city of Lyon, and “regrets” the Chinese decision, the statement said.
The 27-member bloc “intends to continue promoting its strategic partnership with China, especially in a moment when the global financial and economic situation calls for very close cooperation between Europe and China,” the statement said.
- Tibetans grieve over Polish president's death - Apr 10, 2010
- Dalai Lama expresses grief over death of Polish president - Apr 12, 2010
- Secular diplomacy powers Tibetans' global outreach (Comment) - Dec 02, 2011
- Warsaw names Dalai Lama honorary citizen - May 29, 2009
- European Parliament gives Dalai Lama rapturous welcome - Dec 04, 2008
- Dalai Lama calls for 'century of dialogue' - Dec 06, 2008
- Dalai Lama cancels trip to South Africa due to visa delay - Oct 06, 2011
- Fast, prayers mark Tibetan New Year festival (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Dalai Lama a symbol of peace: Dhumal - Sep 02, 2011
- Reincarnation is my personal right: Dalai Lama - Sep 23, 2011
- Media censorship in China wrong: Dalai Lama - Dec 13, 2011
- Prayers, hunger strikes mark Tibetan sacred festival - Feb 22, 2012
- At 76, Dalai Lama remains hopeful on Tibet - Jul 05, 2011
- Transparency first step for democracy in China: Dalai Lama - Jun 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama to get honorary citizenship of Warsaw - Jul 23, 2009
Tags: ambitious objectives, chinese decision, dalai lama, dalai lama visit, lech walesa, nobel peace prize, nobel peace prize winners, peace prize winners, strategic partnership, tibetan spiritual leader