China on highest flood alert, 550,000 evacuatedJune 17th, 2011 - 9:11 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 17 (IANS) China Friday raised the alert for floods to the highest level as heavy rains pounded the central and southern provinces, forcing the evacuation of more than half a million people, a media report said.
Over 555,000 people were evacuated from their homes in seven provinces after rains caused havoc in the Yangtze river basin. A prolonged drought had earlier gripped the region, the report in China Daily said.
At least 19 people were killed in incidents caused by rains in the past four days in the provinces of Anhui, Zhejiang, Jiangxi, Hubei, Hunan, Sichuan and Guizhou provinces.
The government Friday raised its alert to the highest level of four. It described the floods in some areas as the worst since 1955.
According to the official toll, at least 105 people were killed in floods and mudslides since June 3.
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- 11 killed in south China rains - Jul 15, 2012
- 175 killed in China floods - Jun 20, 2011
- 55,000 evacuated as fresh floods hit China - Jun 15, 2011
- Heavy rains bring relief to drought-hit China - Jun 05, 2011
- China's longest river faces worst drought since 1961 - May 23, 2011
- 15 die as rain, floods wreak havoc in China (Lead) - Jul 09, 2010
- Rains, floods hit China - Jun 28, 2012
- 50 dead, 42 missing in China floods - Jun 30, 2012
- At least 107 killed in China torrential rains - Jul 14, 2010
- Floods kill 50 in China - Jun 11, 2011
- 44 killed in China floods - Jun 10, 2011
- Hailstorms in China leave 29 dead, devastate homes - Apr 22, 2012
- China warns of floods, rains as millions face misery - Jun 20, 2011
- China fears worst flood in 12 years - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: beijing, china daily, drought, flood, floods, guizhou, half a million, havoc, heavy rains, hubei, hunan, jiangxi, june 3, mudslides, sichuan, southern provinces, yangtze river, yangtze river basin, zhejiang