China offers to open talks on military issues with TaiwanOctober 14th, 2010 - 6:23 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 14 (ANI): China has offered to open talks on military issues with Taiwan in due course.
“We advocate conducting contacts and exchanges on military issues, including the cross-Straits military deployment issue, in a proper way at a proper time,” said Yang Yi, spokesman of the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council.
He told reporters that Beijing wanted to “probe establishing a cross-Straits military security mutual trust mechanism to help stabilize the situation in the Taiwan Straits and ease military security concerns.”
Yang made the offer after Taiwan leader Ma Ying-jeou on Sunday called on the mainland to remove its military deployment against the island, the China Daily reports.
In response to Yang’s remarks, Taiwan premier Wu Denyih told the legislature that the time is not yet right to discuss disarmament because the two sides need to develop more trust.
“I’m afraid the time is not ripe,” Wu said, according to a report from the Taipei-based Central News Agency.
With elections approaching on the island this year and in 2012, Taiwan officials may be reluctant to rush into talks with the mainland and risk raising suspicion among voters nervous about the mainland. (ANI)
- China, Taiwan sign historic economic pact (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Chinese culture minister visits Taiwan - Sep 02, 2010
- Taiwan seeks F-16s to boost defence - Aug 19, 2010
- Taiwan protests China's bid to block trade pacts - Jun 02, 2010
- Taiwan launches first cruise service with China - Jun 28, 2009
- Taiwan's 'Grand' thaw with China (With Images) - Jun 30, 2010
- Over 500 tourists stranded in Taiwan due to typhoon 'Megi' - Oct 22, 2010
- Taiwan, China launch regular cross-strait flights - Sep 01, 2009
- Taiwan leader seeks closer ties with mainland China - Jul 12, 2010
- Taiwan signs financial pact with China - Nov 16, 2009
- Taiwan Army rejects lifting restrictions on cross-strait flights - Oct 29, 2008
- China, Taiwan hold economic, cultural forum - Dec 20, 2008
- Taiwan offers cabbages in return for swine flu shot - Dec 12, 2009
- Taiwan issues warning as Typhoon Fanapi approaches - Sep 18, 2010
- Taiwan arrests Chinese tourist for spying - May 26, 2009
Tags: beijing, central news agency, disarmament, ma ying jeou, mainland, military deployment, military issues, military security, mutual trust, New Delhi, proper time, security concerns, spokesman, suspicion, taipei, taiwan affairs office, taiwan leader, taiwan officials, taiwan straits, yang yi