China mulls replacing bullets with lethal injectionsJune 16th, 2009 - 3:25 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 16 (IANS) By the end of this year, all criminals who have been sentenced to death here will get a lethal injection instead of bullets as authorities in China have decided to gradually phase out firing squads across the country.
Lethal injections were “cleaner, safer and more convenient”, the director of China’s Supreme People’s Court, Hu Yunteng, was quoted as saying by China Daily Tuesday.
According to the report, a special site has been built near the city’s Dougezhuang detention house, which houses the majority of the city’s condemned, where the convicted criminals will be given the lethal injection.
The Beijing Municipal High People’s Court has already made preparations for the change, including allocation of staff and boosting technical capacity.
It will soon start training judicial police, who will deliver the prisoners and administer the injections, and also medical staff who will supervise the use of the drugs as well as monitor and confirm the deaths, the official said.
“Lethal injection will be used in all intermediate people’s courts, though such a procedure is not possible in the short term because of the high costs of input and enforcement,” Hu said.
“As lethal injection is the most popular method for execution adopted by countries with capital punishment, China will follow suit. It is considered more humane as it reduces criminals’ fear and pain compared with gunshot execution,” he added.
Lethal injection, which kills people within a few minutes and without much pain compared to other forms of execution, was legalised in China in 1997, and was first used in southwestern Yunnan region the next year, the China Daily said.
Though Beijing began using the method in 2000, it is still rare, the report said.
China has been criticised by international rights groups, including Amnesty International, for its poor human rights record. According to reports, at least 7,000 people have been sentenced to death and 1,718 executed last year.
- Criminals in Beijing to get lethal injection instead of gunshot - Jun 16, 2009
- Chinese gets death sentence for killing 11 people - Jul 28, 2012
- China, US among top countries when it comes to execution of prisoners - Mar 28, 2011
- French citizen gets death for drug trade in China - Aug 09, 2010
- Abolish death penalty, say rights groups - Sep 05, 2011
- Two get death penalty for selling 46 infants - Sep 28, 2010
- China executes mafia-style gang leader - Dec 13, 2011
- China executes South African woman for drug smuggling - Dec 12, 2011
- China for caution over death penalty - May 25, 2011
- Three executed over fatal fire in China - Mar 29, 2012
- Drug shortage delays executions in US - Sep 28, 2010
- Shaikh's execution unlikely to damage Sino-UK ties - Dec 29, 2009
- Man gets death for terror attack in China - Mar 27, 2012
- Euthanasia illegal in many countries - Mar 07, 2011
- Man executed for stabbing 29 kindergarten children in China - May 30, 2010
Tags: amnesty, authorities, beijing, bullets, capital punishment, china daily, criminals, deaths, few minutes, firing squads, forms of execution, gunshot, human rights, judicial police, lethal injection, lethal injections, medical staff, prisoners, rights groups, yunnan