China mine blast kills 21, traps 16 (Lead)October 16th, 2010 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 16 (IANS) Twenty-one miners were killed and 16 others are trapped underground Saturday in a coal mine blast in China, Xinhua reported.
The blast occurred around 6 a.m. in Yuzhou city in central Henan province. Twenty bodies were retrieved by 1 p.m.
A spokesman for the rescue headquarters said 239 of 276 miners escaped when the blast took place.
The trapped miners were located but the coal dust from a shaft needs to be cleared before the rescue can start.
He added that a high density of gas underground is hindering the rescue.
The mine is owned by Pingyu Coal & Electric Co. Ltd.
Twenty-three miners were killed in a similar blast in the mine Aug 1, 2008.
- Death toll from Central China's mine accident reaches 26 - Oct 17, 2010
- China coal mine gas leak toll rises to 30 - Oct 18, 2010
- Death toll from China's coal mine accident reaches 31 - Oct 18, 2010
- Coal Mine Blast Kills 21 in China, 16 still trapped - Oct 17, 2010
- 26 killed in China mine - Oct 17, 2010
- Explosion in Chinese mine kills 20, over 30 trapped - Oct 16, 2010
- Death toll rises to 37 after last miners found dead in central China mine - Oct 19, 2010
- China mine blast kills 21 - Oct 17, 2010
- 20 killed in China mine accident - Oct 16, 2010
- Gas explosion at southwest China mine kills at least 7 - Oct 29, 2010
- 20 dead in China coal mine gas leak - Nov 10, 2011
- Five die in China mine collapse - Sep 25, 2011
- Six dead in central China coal mine gas leak - Nov 16, 2011
- Toll reaches 28 in China coal mine gas leak - Nov 12, 2011
- Seven killed in Pakistan mine blasts (Lead) - Mar 20, 2011