China meeting his envoy welcome news for Dalai Lama (Lead)April 25th, 2008 - 9:27 pm ICT by admin
New York, April 25 (IANS) Reiterating that he was for “meaningful autonomy” and not independence for Tibet, the Dalai Lama said he would welcome China’s offer to meet his representatives in the wake of international pressure that followed anti-Beijing riots in the ‘roof the world’. In a statement issued Thursday from New York, the Dalai Lama said he supported talks. .
“The best way forward is to resolve the issues between the Tibetans and the Chinese leadership through dialogue, as I have been advocating for a long time,” he was quoted as saying by The Wall Street Journal Friday.
“I have repeatedly assured the leadership of the People’s Republic of China that I am not seeking independence. What I am seeking is a meaningful autonomy for the Tibetan people that would ensure the long-term survival of our Buddhist culture, our language and our distinct identity as a people,” the spiritual leader of the 600,000 Tibetans added.
China’s state-run Xinhua news agency, quoting an unnamed official, reported Friday that “in view of the requests repeatedly made by the Dalai side for resuming talks, the relevant department of the central government will have contact and consultation with Dalai’s private representative in the coming days.”
China has been under intense international pressure-including from the US and India to resume dialogue with the the Dalai Lama.
Word of the talks is the first sign of d
- Denmark asks China to resume dialogue with exiled Tibetans - May 31, 2011
- Tibetan exiles firm on dialogue with China - Jul 06, 2011
- Sangay for resumption of talks with China - Mar 10, 2012
- Tibetan meet aims to break deadlock with China - Oct 07, 2011
- Efforts on to restart talks with China: Tibetan PM-in-exile - Oct 12, 2011
- Resume talks, Tibetan exiles urge China - Apr 30, 2012
- US concerned over violence in Tibet - Jan 25, 2012
- 'Only dialogue can resolve Tibet issue' - Nov 14, 2011
- Ready for epic journey to Lhasa: new Tibetan PM - Aug 08, 2011
- Exiles celebrate Dalai Lama's birthday (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- China's respect for freedom in Tibet deteriorated: US report - Jul 31, 2012
- Dalai Lama has thrown a gauntlet to Beijing (Comment) - Mar 13, 2011
- Dalai Lama's 77th birthday celebrated in Dharamsala (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Ready to negotiate with China, says new Tibetan leader - Jun 18, 2011
- Will decide on successor when I am 90: Dalai Lama - Sep 24, 2011
Tags: autonomy, buddhist culture, central government, chinese leadership, dalai lama, distinct identity, intense international pressure, olympic torch relay, relevant department, republic of china, riots, spiritual leader, standoff, term survival, tibet, tibetans, unnamed official, wall street journal, welcome news, xinhua news agency