China maps world’s first goose genome sequenceJune 14th, 2011 - 8:27 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 14 (IANS) Scientists from China Tuesday claimed to have sequenced the complete genome of the white goose - for the very first time.
Researchers from the Zhejiang Provincial Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Zhedong White Goose Institute and Beijing Genomics Institute worked on the genome project for two years, Xinhua reported.
The Zhedong white goose is known for its fast growth rate.
The complete sequencing of the white goose genome lays a solid, theoretical foundation for understanding the growth performance, meat quality and biological breeding rules of the goose at the DNA level, officials said.
The sequencing is likely to benefit research in poultry breeding and bird domestication.
Full genome sequencing is a laboratory process that determines the complete DNA sequence of an organism’s genome at a single time.
The genome sequence helps scientists find genes easily and quickly. Studying the entire genome sequence would help scientists understand how genes work together to direct the growth, development and maintenance of an entire organism.
- Chinese experts release world's first oyster genome map - Aug 04, 2010
- Scientists assemble genome from DNA of single bug - Sep 19, 2011
- Full genetic blueprint of multiple prostate tumors unveiled - Feb 10, 2011
- Scientists now know tomato better - May 31, 2012
- New E. Coli bacteria resistant to eight classes of antibiotics - Jun 04, 2011
- New technology could sequence a person's genome in minutes - Dec 21, 2010
- Scientists map camel's DNA in quest of medical breakthrough - Jun 11, 2010
- Entire genome of extinct human decoded from finger bone - Feb 08, 2012
- Human and frogs share the 'kissing cousin' bond - Apr 30, 2010
- Sequencing of frog genome may offer new insights into human diseases - May 07, 2010
- First humans out of Africa once shrank to 1,000: Study - Jul 19, 2011
- Hidden DNA code more influential than our genes - Sep 19, 2011
- Scientists complete whole-exome sequencing of skin cancer - Apr 16, 2011
- Scientists complete potato genome sequencing - Jul 16, 2011
- New rat study may help understand genetic basis of human hypertension - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: agricultural sciences, china maps, dna level, dna sequence, genes, genome project, genome sequence, genome sequencing, genomics institute, growth performance, level officials, maps world, meat quality, organism, poultry breeding, theoretical foundation, time researchers, white goose, xinhua, zhejiang