China likely to launch second lunar probe on FridaySeptember 30th, 2010 - 5:30 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 30 (ANI): The Chinese space authority has said that it will launch its second lunar probe, Chang’e-2, between Friday and Sunday, with former being the first choice.
Fuel loading was scheduled to begin on Thursday to inject propellants into the carrier rocket, a Long March 3-C.
The fuel loading will be under way until the last three minutes before the launch, said a spokesman for the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwestern China’s Sichuan province.
The Chang’e-2 probe, named for the character in the legend of a Chinese fairy who flew to the moon, is expected to test parts of key technologies for Chang’e-3, which is expected to land on the moon in about 2013, the China Daily reports.
It will also refine scientific research findings conducted by Chang’e-1, the spokesman said.
China’s lunar exploration program, which has been designed to eventually land a Chinese craft on the moon, calls for the launch of three satellites at the second stage: Chang’e-2, Chang’e-3 and Chang’e-4. (ANI)
- China's second lunar probe blasts off - Oct 01, 2010
- China's 2nd unmanned lunar probe 'Chang'e-2' enters lunar orbit - Oct 06, 2010
- China to select new site for moon rocket launch - Nov 29, 2010
- China's lunar probe to photograph Bay of Rainbows - Oct 27, 2010
- China to launch second lunar probe 'Chang'e-2' by October - Sep 28, 2010
- China's second unmanned lunar probe maneuvers to correct trajectory - Oct 03, 2010
- China Launches "Moon Mission" as Nasa Loses Lunar Interest - Oct 02, 2010
- China's 'Chang'e-2' expected to have enough fuel to return to earth - Oct 14, 2010
- China to launch satellite for Pakistan - Aug 10, 2011
- China's second moon orbiter Chang'e-2 heads for outer space - Jun 10, 2011
- China unveils snapshots of moon - Nov 09, 2010
- China to launch lunar probe by 2010 end - Jun 01, 2010
- Chinese firm to send Spanish rover to moon in 2014 - Aug 18, 2012
- China to take next leap in moon probe in October 2010 - Nov 27, 2009
- China to launch moon-landing craft - Mar 05, 2012
Tags: china daily, chinese space, exploration program, fairy, first choice, fuel loading, key technologies, last three minutes, lunar exploration, lunar probe, moon, New Delhi, research findings, satellite launch center, satellites, second stage, sichuan province, southwestern china, spokesman, xichang satellite launch center