China likely to continue their dominance in badmintonAugust 1st, 2008 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 1 (Xinhua) Chinese badminton players have dominated the discipline ever since it was introduced at the 1992 Barcelona Games. And they are likely to continue doing so at the Beijing Games. China have so far won 22 medals, including eight golds, in badminton in Olympics.
During the past four Games there were 61 medals including 19 golds, 19 silvers and 23 bronze. China won one silver and four bronze in 1992. One year later, Li Yongbo became the head coach of the badminton team, which won the women’s doubles gold at the Atlanta Games. China won four golds in Sydney, except the one for men’s doubles, and three golds, in women’s singles, doubles and mixed doubles, in Athens.
The only gold eluding China is in the men’s doubles section.
Only China, Indonesia, South Korea and Denmark have won gold in the Olympic badminton tournament. Among the 19 gold, 18 went to Asia and one to Europe.
- China wants to boost badminton abroad - Aug 19, 2012
- Lin Dan in quest of second Olympic title as China set to stamp authority - Jul 12, 2012
- China harvests in 'backyard' sports but challenges loom ahead of Olympics - Dec 27, 2011
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Chinese juggernaut rolls on at Olympics (World Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Lin Dan to lead China's challenge in Thomas Cup - May 18, 2012
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- 29 Olympic champions to spearhead China at London Games - Jul 10, 2012
- Chinese badminton head coach blames referee for player's injury - Aug 05, 2012
- China's badminton coach plays down Olympic hopes - Jul 11, 2012
- Mexico has best Olympics in over 40 years - Aug 13, 2012
- Olympics: Phelps takes his medal tally to 21; US overtake China (Overall Roundup) - Aug 04, 2012
- Rhode blasts her way to skeet gold, equals world record - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: athens, atlanta games, badminton players, badminton team, badminton tournament, barcelona games, beijing, china indonesia, denmark, discipline, dominance, four games, head coach, medals, mixed doubles, olympic badminton, olympics, south korea, sydney, xinhua