China jails Tibetan property tycoon for lifeAugust 13th, 2010 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug.13 (ANI): China has sentenced a Tibetan property tycoon to life imprisonment without providing details of the charges, said to be mainly political in nature.
Reports from Beijing said that the Lhasa Municipality Intermediate People’s Court sentenced Dorje Tashi, 37, on June 26.
The Times and The Australian quoted Tibetan sources, as saying that the sentencing, if made on political grounds, is not surprising or unusual in Tibet.
Many in the deeply Buddhist population resent Beijing’s rule and yearn for the return of the exiled Dalai Lama.
Court sources said that Tashi’s conviction was based on “illegal business operations” involving his Yak Hotel, the best known and oldest in Lhasa - the capital of the region.
The court confiscated his personal property, estimated to be 4.3 billion Yuan (707 million dollars).
He was arrested in March 2008, shortly after an anti-Chinese riot rocked Lhasa, even though he had been praised at the time for supporting the government crackdown and providing supplies to security forces.
Dorje operated many other enterprises, from property to trading companies, and had close links with Chinese authorities.
Shortly after his arrest, however, there were reports that he had made donations to monasteries, or even the Dalai Lama - donations which would have enraged Beijing. (ANI)
- Two more self-immolations in Tibet - Apr 20, 2012
- China's respect for freedom in Tibet deteriorated: US report - Jul 31, 2012
- Karmapa's aide records statement with ED - Mar 21, 2011
- 'Another monk has self-immolated in Tibet' - Jul 17, 2012
- Exiles predict more trouble in Tibet - Mar 17, 2012
- Karmapa's office hands over $150,000 to ED - Mar 19, 2011
- Karmapa cash row: Police to file charge sheet - Sep 16, 2011
- Cash row renews clash of rival Karmapas - Feb 04, 2011
- Karmapa's aide gets bail in Himachal - Mar 16, 2011
- Foreign currency case: Police names Karmapa in chargesheet - Dec 07, 2011
- Self-immolations: China warns Dalai Lama - Mar 07, 2012
- Two self-immolations in Tibet - Mar 05, 2012
- Karmapa cash row: Enforcement Directorate begins probe - Feb 01, 2011
- Tibetan monk dies after setting himself on fire in China protest - Aug 15, 2011
- Karmapa cash row: Enforcement Directorate scans records (Lead) - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: beijing, buddhist, business operations, chinese authorities, court sources, dalai lama, government crackdown, illegal business, jails, life imprisonment, monasteries, municipality, nature reports, New Delhi, personal property, property tycoon, security forces, tashi, tibet, yuan