China jails 14 people in tainted milk caseApril 30th, 2011 - 3:01 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Apr 30 (ANI): Local courts in Shanxi and Hebei provinces of China have convicted and sentenced 14 people for producing and selling tainted milk powder.
According to China Daily, among the 14 involved in four tainted-milk cases, two received life imprisonment, four received sentences of 10 to 15 years in prison, while the rest received lighter sentences.
The open trials came three years after melamine-contaminated milk powder killed at least six babies and sickened 300,000 others across China.
The local court of Hebei city sentenced Zhao Chunfeng, general manager of Yuquan Dairy Company in Chengde city, to 15 years’ imprisonment and fined him 1.37 million Yuan, for selling the tainted milk powder after changing its packaging and producing shoddy milk powder.
The Intermediate People’s Court in Jinzhong city sentenced two people to life imprisonment, for blending melamine-tainted milk powder into their products.
The sentences imposed underscore China’s struggle to stop sales of phony or tainted food and drinks despite repeated crackdowns.
Chinese leaders have recently called for stern punishments for those who produce or sell inferior products. (ANI)
- 96 arrested in China for selling adulterated milk powder - Jan 13, 2011
- China arrests 96 people for using tainted milk powder - Jan 14, 2011
- Chinese police arrests six suspects, 41 others in melamine milk scandal - Aug 21, 2010
- Six arrested in fresh melamine milk scandal in China - Aug 21, 2010
- Chinese official executed for stealing, selling cultural relics - Nov 20, 2010
- Melamine-tainted dairy product reappears in China - Nov 24, 2010
- China recalls over 170 tons of contaminated milk powder in latest crackdown - Feb 08, 2010
- Melamine tainted milk resurfaces in China - Jul 09, 2010
- 248 Chinese officials arrested over food safety flaws in 2010 - Jan 31, 2011
- 70 percent Chinese preferred imported milk powder due to safety concerns - Mar 01, 2011
- China bans more milk products tainted with melamine - Jan 25, 2010
- Two executed in China for contaminating milk - Nov 24, 2009
- Five jailed for duping Chinese civil service candidate - Apr 26, 2012
- Cancer-causing chemical found in baby milk in China - Jul 23, 2012
- Police seize 64 tons of melamine tainted milk from northwest China plant - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: babies, beijing, china daily, chinese leaders, contaminated milk, dairy company, drinks, hebei, inferior products, jails, life imprisonment, local court, local courts, milk powder, provinces of china, punishments, sentences, shanxi, tainted milk, yuan