China has 159 million senior citizensApril 11th, 2009 - 4:52 pm ICT by ANI
Tianjin (China), Apr.11 (ANI): China has 159 million citizens who are above the age of 60, accounting for more than 12 percent of its total population, a ratio higher than the international level.
The number was 149 million in 2008, and is expected to reach 174 million by 2010, Xinhua quoted Yang Tuan, deputy director of Social Policy Studies Center under the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, as saying at a forum on the work for senior citizens in Tianjin earlier this month.
It would continue to grow by 8 million annually after 2010, Yang warned.
The rising population of gray hairs, at an annual average of 3.3 percent in recent years, is posing a challenge for the country to ensure the well being of its senior citizens, experts said at the forum.
The government will improve the health care and social security systems to better benefit the gray hairs in the coming decades, said Wang Hui, an official in charge of social welfare and charity under the ministry. (ANI)
- China proposes harsh punishment to curb gender imbalance - Mar 14, 2012
- China's online population rises to 450 mn - Dec 30, 2010
- 'China requires better family planning over migration' - Apr 14, 2012
- China's online population touches 450 million - Dec 30, 2010
- Gastric cancer cases rise in China - Apr 23, 2012
- New measure raises American poor to 49 million - Nov 08, 2011
- Netizens choose Chinese word "Character of the Year" to slam price rise issues - Dec 18, 2010
- Make learning easy for boys: Chinese lawmaker - Mar 09, 2012
- China sees imported wine market boom - Mar 28, 2012
- China joins world's elite offshore energy club - Jan 05, 2011
- Automakers confident of China market despite slowing sales - Nov 24, 2011
- China's internet users rise to 513 million (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- China beat South Korea to reclaim Uber Cup - May 27, 2012
- Succession crisis in North Korea unlikely: Experts - Sep 14, 2010
- China aspires to reduce energy consumption per unit of GDP by 2015 - Mar 05, 2011
Tags: academy of social sciences, accounting, charity, china, chinese academy of social sciences, decades, deputy director, gray hairs, health care, senior citizens, social policy studies, social security, social security systems, social welfare, total population, tuan, wang hui, xinhua