China eyes closer ties with Latin America, issues policy paperNovember 5th, 2008 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 5 (Xinhua) China released its first policy paper on Latin America and the Caribbeans Wednesday ahead of President Hu Jintao’s Latin American tour, eyeing closer ties with the region.”The policy paper was formulated with an aim to further clarify the goals of China’s policy in this region and outline guiding principles for future cooperation,” said Yang Wanming, director-general of the the Latin American and Caribbean affairs department of the foreign ministry.
To coincide with Hu’s visits to Costa Rica, Cuba, Peru and Greece from Nov 16 to 26, the release of the policy paper was part of the preparation for Hu’s Latin America visit, Yang said.
He said although a few countries in the region have still not established diplomatic ties with China, and maintain so-called official ties with Taiwan, China is willing to develop normal state-to-state relations with these countries.
China does not have any objection to the non-governmental economic and cultural exchanges conducted by the countries in the region with Taiwan, he added.
China shared common interests with the countries of Latin America and the Caribbean in tackling non-traditional security threats, he said.
Beijing established diplomatic relations with many Latin American countries in the 1960s and 1970s.
China released its first policy paper on the European Union in 2003 and issued “China’s African Policy” in 2006.
- China signs trade treaty with Costa Rica - Apr 09, 2010
- India to hold first dialogue Latin American troika - Aug 02, 2012
- Amid China's forays, India wakes up to Latin America - Aug 05, 2012
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- India, Latin America to scale up bilateral ties - Aug 08, 2012
- 'Latin America, Caribbean and India should build closer ties' - Jul 18, 2012
- China, Bhutan ready to forge diplomatic ties - Jun 22, 2012
- Latin America beckons: India must seize the moment (Comment) - Jul 26, 2012
- Important for China to communicate with US: Hu - Nov 13, 2011
- Latin America beckons, India's trade may reach $50 bn by 2014 - Jan 02, 2012
- With China on mind, India steps up Latin America diplomacy - Jul 10, 2012
- India reassures China over Tibet, calls for stronger ties (Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- China's trade with Latin America grew in 2011 - Apr 18, 2012
- India was concerned with China's "newly pugnacious" foreign policy: Wikileaks - Dec 05, 2010
- India reassures China over Tibet issue - Feb 08, 2012