China executes two for smuggling drugs from MyanmarJune 25th, 2009 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Shenyang (China), June 25 (Xinhua) A court in China’s northeastern Liaoning province said Thursday that it had executed two men convicted of heading a gang that smuggled drugs from Myanmar.
The execution of the convicts - Liu Fuying and Sun Yulong - was carried out in May following the approval by the country’s highest court, the Supreme People’s Court of the province said.
Liu and Sun were convicted in August 2008 for carrying 8,000 grams of heroin in their bodies on trips from Myanmar to Liaoning in 2002. Another member in the gang, Liu Yuwen, was given death penalty with a two-year reprieve.
Wu Yanjun, a court official, said international and domestic drug trafficking was increasing in northeast China, from where drugs were also distributed to North and South Korea.
“We have seen rising numbers of people in drug trafficking gangs in recent years. Their activities tend to be more and more professional,” said Wu.
Courts in Liaoning handled 1,054 drug cases from June last year to May, involving 1,797 people. The number of cases was 60 percent more than the corresponding period the year before, and the number of people involved was up 90 percent, according to the provincial supreme court.
China keeps the number of executions a state secret, but according to human rights agencies, at least 5,000 people have been executed annually in recent years, more than in the rest of the world put together.
- Three Japanese convicted for drug smuggling and trafficking - Apr 09, 2010
- China executes three Japanese drug smugglers - Apr 09, 2010
- China to execute a Japanese citizen for smuggling drugs - Apr 01, 2010
- China's former soccer chiefs stand trial for graft - Apr 24, 2012
- World War II shells found in China - Nov 28, 2011
- Three drug traffickers get death in China - Apr 11, 2012
- Incest man killed by kin - Mar 20, 2012
- Five Chinese women deplaned after midair brawl - Jul 03, 2012
- Four drug gang members get death penalty in China - Dec 26, 2010
- Chinese mafia ring busted, 58 held - Jun 19, 2012
- Six jailed in China for selling tainted bean sprouts - Aug 13, 2011
- China executes mafia-style gang leader - Dec 13, 2011
- Chinese bomber to be executed for deadly blast - Dec 29, 2011
- China executes South African woman for drug smuggling - Dec 12, 2011
- China executes gun trader - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: convicts, death penalty, drug trafficking, execution, executions, gang liu, gangs, heroin, human rights, liaoning province, northeast china, reprieve, rest of the world, shenyang china, smuggling drugs, south korea, supreme court, two men, xinhua, yulong