China, EU summit begins in PragueMay 20th, 2009 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Prague, May 20 (Xinhua) The 11th summit meeting between China and the European Union (EU) began Wednesday in the Czech capital.
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao arrived here Wednesday to participate in the conference.
“We expect the meeting will further enhance mutual trust, deepen reciprocal cooperation and boost the China-EU ties,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu told reporters in Beijing.
Wen will hold talks with the European leaders, including Czech Republic President Vaclav Klaus, whose country holds the rotating EU presidency.
The talks are expected to focus on disputes linked to China’s huge trade surplus with the EU and on coordinating international action to counter the global economic crisis, reports said. Senior central bankers and finance officials on both sides were to discuss global finances.
The summit was originally scheduled for December but was postponed due to China’s protest over a meeting between the Dalai Lama and French President Nicolas Sarkozy in Poland last year.
“We expect to work along with the EU, take this opportunity and jointly push forward the development of the China-EU comprehensive strategic partnership,” Ma said.
The first China-EU summit was held in London in 1998.
- Czech leader says more European integration 'fatally wrong' - Oct 09, 2011
- China says its visa policy remains "unchanged" - Oct 26, 2010
- Former Czech president Vaclav Havel dies - Dec 18, 2011
- EU, China sign agreements on environment, trade - Nov 30, 2009
- Sharp reaction to China's comment on Kashmir visas - Oct 26, 2010
- Ansari heads to Prague Sunday, UN reforms high on agenda - Jun 05, 2010
- Ansari heads to Prague Sunday, UN reforms on agenda (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Ahmadinejad to attend Shanghai summit - Jun 03, 2012
- Ansari on East Europe trip to expand India's economic ties - Jun 06, 2010
- PM lands in Bali - Nov 17, 2011
- Krishna meets China's would-be PM - Jun 06, 2012
- Will continue to support Europe in crisis: China - Mar 21, 2012
- Visa row between India, China ahead of Singh-Jiabao meet - Oct 27, 2010
- US vice president reaches China on official visit - Aug 18, 2011
- EU set for mid-November summit on top posts - Oct 30, 2009
Tags: chinese foreign ministry spokesman, chinese premier wen jiabao, czech capital, czech republic president, dalai lama, eu presidency, european leaders, foreign ministry spokesman, french president nicolas, french president nicolas sarkozy, global economic crisis, mutual trust, nicolas sarkozy, premier wen jiabao, president nicolas sarkozy, strategic partnership, summit meeting, trade surplus, vaclav klaus, xinhua