China establishes diplomatic relations with South SudanJuly 10th, 2011 - 2:33 am ICT by IANS
Juba, July 10 (IANS) China Saturday established its diplomatic relations with the Republic of South Sudan and vowed to provide assistance at the best of its ability to develop the world’s newest nation, Xinhua reported.
South Sudan became the 193rd country recognised by the UN and 54th UN member state in Africa early Saturday.
Jiang Weixin, a special envoy of Chinese President Hu Jintao, signed the joint communique on the establishment of diplomatic relations with South Sudan’s Foreign Minister Deng Alor Kol in Juba, the capital the newly formed nation, Xinhua reported.
China would strengthen its political contact with South Sudan, provide assistance at the best of its ability, and expand pragmatic cooperation in an all-round way, said Jiang at the opening ceremony of Chinese embassy.
“The establishment of diplomatic ties and the official operation of the embassy have brought the relations between the two countries to a new stage,” he said.
“We sincerely hope South Sudan and Sudan would be good neighbours, partners and brothers forever,” he said.
On Friday, the UN Security Council voted unanimously to pass a resolution in order to set up a new mission to South Sudan.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon was among international dignitaries attending the celebrations, along with Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir and Russia’s special envoy to Africa Mikhail Margelov.
- Sudan against holding talks with Juba over oil - Apr 21, 2012
- Amid China foray, India to invite South Sudan president - Jun 03, 2012
- Sudan president aims for South Sudan's liberation - Apr 19, 2012
- South Sudan celebrates independence (Third Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- South Sudan to become world's newest nation July 9 - Jul 02, 2011
- Ansari to attend 'birthday' of South Sudan - Jul 06, 2011
- Russia - S. Sudan cooperation vital for Africa : Medvedev - Jul 10, 2011
- AU presses Sudan, South Sudan to seal deal by Aug 2 - Jul 15, 2012
- All 29 kidnapped Chinese in Sudan freed - Feb 08, 2012
- India seeks security of oil investments in Sudans - May 22, 2012
- Ansari on three-day visit to South Sudan - Jul 07, 2011
- India's oil contracts will be honoured: South Sudan - Apr 28, 2011
- South Sudan becomes world's newest country (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- UN chief hails Sudan, South Sudan oil deal - Aug 07, 2012
- UN chief to visit Sudan - Jul 07, 2011
Tags: ban ki moon, chinese embassy, chinese president hu, chinese president hu jintao, deng, diplomatic relations, diplomatic ties, good neighbours, hu jintao, international dignitaries, juba, member state, omar al bashir, opening ceremony, president hu jintao, south sudan, sudanese president, un secretary general, un security council, xinhua