China deploys its first women astronautsMay 8th, 2010 - 1:35 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 8 (ANI): China has for the first time, included two women in its new seven-member astronaut crew. Though no names were disclosed, authorities did reveal that the new entrants were aged between 30-35 years, are married and are college graduates.
The five men are fighter pilots, while the two women fly transport aircraft for the Chinese air force. On average, they have 1,270 hours of flight time each. All of the astronauts are strong physically and psychologically, the release said.
“China is expected to test its docking technology in the next few years and the seven new astronauts are selected for these new tasks,” China Daily quoted Chen Shanguang, director of the Astronaut Center of China as saying.
China is expected to launch an unmanned space module - Tiangong 1 - in the first half of 2011, according to Xinhua News Agency.
The Shenzhou 8 spacecraft will be launched in the second half of 2011 to carry out the nation’s first space docking, followed by the Shenzhou 9 and Shenzhou 10, which will be launched in 2012 to dock with Tiangong 1.
The two women will likely be trained to become pilots of the spacecraft, said Chen, without specifying the time frame.
Sui Guosheng, the air force officer in charge of recruitment, told Guangzhou-based Nanfang Weekly last July that those chosen to join the astronaut program will undergo between two and three years of training, and the first female astronaut could complete her journey into space by 2012. (ANI)
- China mulls sending female astronauts into space - Oct 31, 2011
- Chinese woman may reach space by 2012 - Apr 30, 2011
- China to launch two space modules - Apr 30, 2011
- China launches Shenzhou-9 with first woman astronaut - Jun 16, 2012
- China prepares for manned space docking this year - Mar 01, 2012
- China to launch spacecraft for manned space docking - Jun 09, 2012
- China to put man on the moon by 2030 - Mar 04, 2011
- Chinese space module gets first-ever residents (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- China to launch manned spacecraft - Feb 18, 2012
- China may send women to space in 2012 - May 01, 2011
- China to send first woman astronaut into space - Jun 15, 2012
- Chinese spacecraft docks with orbiting module - Jun 24, 2012
- Chinese female astronauts may catch flight - Mar 12, 2012
- Liu is first Chinese woman in space - Jun 16, 2012
- Joining Chinese space mission doesn't come easy! (Lead) - Mar 25, 2012
Tags: 35 years, astronaut program, astronauts, china daily, chinese air force, college graduates, fighter pilots, first female astronaut, first women, five men, journey into space, member astronaut crew, New Delhi, spacecraft, tiangong, time frame, transport aircraft, two women, unmanned space, xinhua news agency