China criticizes Gates for his ‘extremely irresponsible’ wordsSeptember 18th, 2009 - 4:47 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Sep 18 (ANI): The Chinese Defense Ministry has criticized US Defense Secretary Robert Gates for his “extremely irresponsible” words regarding China being one of America’s main challengers.
Gates had said that China’s investments in cyber and anti-satellite warfare, anti-air and anti-ship weaponry, and ballistic missiles could threaten America’s move to project power and help its allies in the Pacific.
The Chinese Defence Ministry also lambasted an American intelligence report that listed China as one of America’s main challengers.
“The views and words of the US has not a scrap of truth in them and is extremely irresponsible,” said Defense Ministry spokesman Hu Changming on Thursday.
On Tuesday, a National Intelligence Strategy (NIS) report from Washington described Beijing as Washington’s major challenger, the China Daily reports.
China’s “increasing natural resource-focused diplomacy and military modernization are among the factors making it a complex global challenge,” said the NIS document, which guides the US strategic analysis for the next four years.
Among the other “challengers” listed are Russia, Iran and the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
US Intelligence director Dennis Blair said after the release of the report that China is very aggressive in the cyber world.
Hu, in response, said China has consistently pursued a national defense policy that is defensive in nature and resolutely followed a path of peaceful development. (ANI)
- US underestimated China's military modernization: Gates - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Chinese military has potential to put US at risk' - Jan 09, 2011
- China declines supporting cyber attackers - Mar 30, 2012
- US will counter China's military build-up: Gates - Jan 09, 2011
- No limit to expansion of nuke arsenal: China - Feb 28, 2011
- China-wary India developing space security systems - Nov 16, 2011
- US-China military hotline eases ties - Nov 12, 2011
- China prepares for hi-tech modern warfare - Apr 23, 2011
- Chinese DF 21D Missile Sends Strong Signals To US Navy - Aug 06, 2010
- China developing high-tech weaponry and equipment: White Paper - Mar 31, 2011
- 'Opposing US' arms sales to Taiwan is part of Chinese policy' - Jan 10, 2011
- 'China's military hardware development not aimed at any other country' - Jan 12, 2011
- China shot down one of its own satellites in Jan.2010: US report - Jul 19, 2010
- Pentagon voices alarm over China's military build up - Aug 17, 2010
- 'US warned China of military action over space missiles' - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: american intelligence, ballistic missiles, china daily, chinese defence, chinese defense, cyber world, defence ministry, defense ministry, dennis blair, global challenge, intelligence report, intelligence strategy, military modernization, ministry spokesman, national intelligence, peaceful development, republic of korea, robert gates, s republic of korea, secretary robert