China criticises US Congress resolution on TaiwanMarch 26th, 2009 - 2:17 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 26 (Xinhua) China has expressed strong dissatisfaction over a US Congress resolution to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Taiwan Relations Act, saying it is an interference in its internal affairs.
“China is strongly dissatisfied and has lodged a solemn representation over the resolution adopted to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Taiwan Relations Act,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Qin Gang said in a statement Wednesday.
The US House of Representatives voted for the resolution Tuesday.
The Taiwan Relations Act, passed by the US Congress in 1979, required the US to provide arms to Taiwan for self-defence. China has never recognised the legitimacy of the act.
Qin said the Chinese government and people, from the very start, resolutely opposed the Act adopted by the US unilaterally.
“We urge the US to follow the basic norms guiding international relations and the three Sino-US joint communiques, and stop the wrongful act of using the Taiwan issue to interfere in China’s internal affairs,” Qin said.
- China urges US to stop meddling on Tibet - Mar 29, 2012
- China summons US ambassador over Obama-Dalai Lama meeting (Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- China opposes US-Taiwan relations - Jul 19, 2012
- US Congress passes new sanctions against Iran - Aug 02, 2012
- China urges Japan to stop territorial sovereignty violations - Aug 17, 2012
- US confirms Dalai-Obama meet, China says scrap it (Lead) - Feb 12, 2010
- China furious as Obama meets Dalai Lama (Second Lead) - Feb 19, 2010
- US urged to respect China's core interests - Mar 07, 2010
- US, China not rivals, but partners in cooperation: Hu, Obama - Nov 17, 2009
- First Sino-US joint university to start - Mar 29, 2012
- China appreciates Obama's "positive remarks" on Sino-U.S. relations - Mar 30, 2010
- US delegates to visit China to 'reduce military and economic tensions' - Sep 04, 2010
- China slams Clinton's Tiananmen Square remarks - Jun 05, 2009
- Don't hold Dalai Lama-Obama meeting, China tells US - Feb 12, 2010
- It's not 1962, India tells a China fuming at Dalai Lama visit - Nov 10, 2009
Tags: 30th anniversary, chinese foreign ministry spokesman, chinese government, communiques, congress resolution, dissatisfaction, foreign ministry spokesman, interference, internal affairs, international relations, legitimacy, norms, qin, self defence, taiwan issue, taiwan relations act, us congress, us house of representatives, wrongful act, xinhua