China cracks down on bogus cigarette dens, 78 heldNovember 14th, 2011 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 14 (IANS) Police in China have busted 122 criminal dens and arrested 78 suspects in a raid on a bogus cigarette manufacturing ring in nine provinces, the government stated Monday.
About 80,000 cartons of counterfeit cigarettes and 10,000 units of fake logos and cigarette cases were confiscated, Xinhua quoted a ministry of public security statement as saying.
The raid involved over 1,500 officers from nine provincial areas and a well-knit underground network for cigarette counterfeiting and distribution.
Police also seized four manufacturing equipment and 25 vehicles used in the operation, it added.
Under the illegal activity, bogus cigarettes were usually produced and stored in city outskirts and disguised as normal goods for delivery, with fake cargo and ownership details.
Most transactions were done on the internet or face-to-face, which was hard to trace, the statement said.
The latest step came as part of a China’s national campaign that started last November to crack down on the violation of intellectual property rights and the production and distribution of fraudulent products.
- Made in India, faked in China -- $5-bn loss - Jan 01, 2012
- Fake currency worth over $18 mn seized in China - Jul 23, 2012
- 96 Chinese held in fake medicine racket - Nov 30, 2011
- Napkin counterfeit ring smashed - Aug 22, 2012
- China busts 6,000 cases involving trademark breach - Dec 29, 2010
- 1,900 held in China fake drug racket - Aug 05, 2012
- China to get tough with fake goods makers - Sep 28, 2011
- Fake items worth over $300 mn seized in China - Nov 17, 2011
- Over 400 held, fake notes seized in China - Jul 22, 2012
- Spain busts Chinese ring peddling pirated goods - Jun 23, 2011
- Indian products will have edge using genuine IT: Microsoft - Dec 22, 2011
- China seizes 1.97 bn fake cigarettes in 2011 - Jul 29, 2011
- China cracks down on pornography - Oct 21, 2011
- Gambling racket busted in China, 800 held - Mar 31, 2012
- 400,000 counterfeit toys seized in Italy - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: beijing, cartons, china cracks, cigarette cases, cigarettes, city outskirts, face to face, fake logos, fraudulent products, illegal activity, intellectual property rights, last november, manufacturing equipment, national campaign, ownership details, provincial areas, public security, security statement, underground network, xinhua