China cows produce milk like human breast milkJune 16th, 2011 - 2:48 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 16 (IANS) Chinese scientists claim to have produced genetically modified cows whose milk could be a substitute for human breast milk.
Researchers at the State Key Laboratory of Agrobiotechnology of the China Agricultural University introduced human genetic coding into the DNA of Holstein dairy cow embryos. They then transferred the embryos into cow surrogates, the China Daily reported.
The scientist said that after years of tests on mice, they managed to create in 2003 the first cow that could produce milk with the same nutritional properties as human breast milk “but with a taste even stronger and sweeter”.
“The genetically modified cow milk is 80 percent the same as human breast milk,” said lead researcher Li Ning.
“Our modified cow milk contains several major properties of human milk, in particular proteins and antibodies good for health and able to improve our immune system.”
Over 300 cloned cattle are now at an experimental farm in Beijing.
The researchers said an affordable form of the milk could be marketed within three years.
Before that, however, strict safety tests are needed, Li said.
“In fact, we still need to conduct clinical trials on human beings with volunteers and finally prove that the cow milk is good and safe for the elderly, infants and the ill, especially those suffering from chronic diseases,” Li said.
- GM cows produce 'human' breast milk - Apr 03, 2011
- Now, genetically modified cows that produce 'human' breast milk! - Apr 03, 2011
- China to create alternative to human breast milk - Apr 15, 2011
- Chinese shops to offer 'human breast milk' in 2 years - Apr 15, 2011
- GM 'human' milk 'to hit Chinese shelves in 2yrs' - Mar 22, 2011
- Genetically modified dairy products in Chinese markets soon - Mar 22, 2011
- Cloudy future for humanised cow's milk - Apr 06, 2011
- China creates world's first genetically modified cow - Mar 26, 2010
- A glass of milk could contain painkillers, antibiotics - Jul 07, 2011
- Genetically engineered calf bred in China - Jun 11, 2012
- World's first handmade cloned sheep produced in China - Apr 20, 2012
- Hill cow's milk can prevent heart disease? - Jan 22, 2012
- Animal Cloning: Fighting Bull Cloned in Spain - May 20, 2010
- Meat of cloned cow offspring enters British food chain - Aug 04, 2010
- Milk, meat from cloned cattle 'safe to consume' - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,