China condemns French honor for Dalai LamaJune 10th, 2009 - 12:28 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, June 10 (ANI): China has denounced the honorary Paris citizenship handed over to the Dalai Lama, saying it poses “a grave interference in Sino-French relations”.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said China was ‘indignant’ about Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanoe going ahead with awarding honorary citizenship to the Dalai Lama in spite of China’s opposition.
“Such a move stirs strong indignation among the Chinese people,” Qin said, adding that inevitably, it would severely undermine the cooperation between Paris and Chinese cities, and gravely disturb China-France relations.
Addressing a press conference here, Qin termed the Dalai Lama’s honor as “another overt provocation” by Paris, following last year’s Paris City Council vote to award the Dalai Lama honorary citizenship.
Qin also urged Paris to stop interfering in China’s internal affairs, and immediately correct its wrongdoing.
Xinhua quoted Qin as saying that China held a clear, persistent and firm position over the Tibet issue, which was related to China’s core interests and major political concern.
This issue was also linked with China’s sovereignty, and influenced national emotion, he added.
Qin said he hoped that France would join with China in cherishing the hard-won achievement of bilateral ties, earnestly fulfill agreements, make efforts to remove all disturbance, and promote the healthy and stable growth of the relationship.
Qin asked Paris to bear all the blame and in a bid to create an essential condition for the cooperation with Chinese cities.
According to a poll conducted by a Chinese website, more than 87 percent of voters firmly opposed the Paris move to honor the Dalai Lama. (ANI)
- Dalai Lama's French 'honor' nothing more than political stunt: Chinese experts - Jun 09, 2009
- Chinese groups oppose Paris mayor's plan to honor Dalai Lama - Jun 03, 2009
- Dalai Lama's visit to Paris may affect Sino-French ties - May 05, 2009
- Paris awards Dalai Lama honorary citizenship - Jun 08, 2009
- Paris to confer Dalai Lama with honorary citizenship - May 26, 2009
- China blames Britain for damaging relations - Jun 14, 2012
- China, France pledge to deepen military ties - Oct 01, 2011
- Dalai Lama to address Hungarian parliament - Sep 18, 2010
- World's most celebrated monk turns 75 Tuesday - Jul 04, 2010
- China lodges strong protest over Sarkozy meeting the Dalai Lama - Dec 08, 2008
- Italy meeting of Dalai Lama draws China ire - Nov 20, 2009
- Stop supporting Dalai Lama, Beijing tells US - Nov 13, 2009
- India, France broaden arts cooperation - Jan 31, 2012
- China angered by Sarkozy-Dalai Lama meeting - Dec 07, 2008
- China 'strongly dissatisfied' with India over Dalai Lama's visit - Nov 10, 2009
Tags: bilateral ties, chinese cities, chinese foreign ministry spokesman, chinese website, city council vote, core interests, dalai lama, foreign ministry spokesman, french relations, honorary citizenship, indignation, internal affairs, paris city, paris mayor, political concern, provocation, qin, stable growth, tibet issue, xinhua