China busts terror groups preparing to disrupt OlympicsApril 10th, 2008 - 6:59 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, April 10 (Xinhua) China has cracked two terrorist groups in the Uygur region of northwestern province of Xinjiang that were preparing for terrorist attack to disrupt the Olympic Games. The terrorists, who numbered 45 in all, had attempted to carry out sabotage to undermine the Beijing Olympic Games, the Ministry of Public Security said here Thursday.
In the first case, the police in Xinjiang netted a 10-member terrorist group led by Aji Muhammat, between Jan 4 and Jan 11, spokesman Wu Heping told a press conference.
The police also seized 18 explosive devices, 4 kg of explosives, seven detonators, 100 kg of raw materials for making explosives, and “a mass of text materials on starting a holy war”, he said.
Wu said Muhamat and other arrested terrorists have confessed during interrogation that they had been sent by “East Turkistan” separatists from abroad to carry out attacks to disrupt the Games.
- China breaks up terrorist ring in Xinjiang - Jun 24, 2010
- Be vigilant against Pakistan-trained terrorists: Chinese daily - Aug 02, 2011
- China claims smashing Xinjiang terror ring - Jun 24, 2010
- China names six terrorists (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- China blames terrorists trained in Pakistan for Xinjiang attack (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Terrorists not to impact ties with Pakistan: China - Mar 07, 2012
- China seeks Pakistan help to nab terrorists (Second Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- China to hike anti-terrorism cooperation with Pakistan - Aug 03, 2011
- China blames Pakistan trained terrorists for Xinjiang attack - Aug 01, 2011
- China seeks Pakistan help to nab six terrorists (Third Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Six killed in China mine blast - Feb 15, 2012
- China vows crackdown over Xinjiang attacks - Aug 02, 2011
- 12 killed in China riots - Feb 28, 2012
- Four get death sentence for China terror attacks - Sep 15, 2011
- 12 killed in China riots (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
Tags: beijing, busts, east turkistan, explosive devices, explosives, holy war, interrogation, northwestern province, olympic games, preparing for terrorist attack, public security, raw materials, sabotage, separatists, terror groups, terrorist group, terrorist groups, text materials, xinhua, xinjiang