China begins three-day mourning for quake victims, torch relay suspendedMay 19th, 2008 - 8:12 am ICT by admin
Beijing, May 19 (Xinhua) China began Monday a three-day national mourning for the thousands of people who lost their lives in the devastating earthquake that struck the country’s southwest last Monday. At 4:58 a.m., the national flag at the Tian’anmen Square in downtown Beijing flew at half-mast after a complete flag-raising ceremony.
All national flags are to fly at half-mast at home and at Chinese diplomatic missions abroad from Monday to Wednesday. Public recreational activities are halted during the mourning period.
Meanwhile, the torch relay of the Olympic Games has been postponed for three days till Wednesday to mourn for the earthquack victims, organizers of the relay said.
Lao Jinlong, vice president of Ningbo Municipal Sports Bureau, said the torch relay of Ningbo leg has been postponed in line with the State Council’s decision to set May 19 to 21 as the Days of Mourning to memorize the people died in quake.
Zhang Jinsong, a torchbearer, said: “It is a terrible disaster and causes great destruction. I hope the victims of the earthquake can overcome the difficulties and reconstruct their homeland as soon as possible.”
“We want to show our best wishes to the people in the disastrous areas and the Chinese people’s courage to the whole world,” said Yang Lingna, another torchbearer.
The death toll from the massive quake rose to 32,476 nationwide as of 2 p.m. Sunday, while the injured numbered 220,109, according to the emergency response office.
Among the dead, 31,978 were in Sichuan with the rest in six other provinces and a municipality.
- China mourns mudslide victims with half-mast flags - Aug 15, 2010
- China mourns quake victims - Apr 21, 2010
- China mourns quake victims (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- First torchbearer for Olympic torch relay announced - May 11, 2012
- China mourns mudslide victims, toll rises to 1,248 (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2010
- London 2012 organizers confirm route for Olympic Flame - Mar 19, 2012
- Three-day mourning in Kenya after chopper crash - Jun 11, 2012
- China mudslide death toll crosses 1200 mark - Aug 14, 2010
- London 2012 organisers to auction Olympic torches - Jun 21, 2012
- Nigerian embassies open condolence registers - Jun 06, 2012
- China nationally to mourn quake victims Wednesday - Apr 20, 2010
- Olympic flame lit in Greece (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Beijing mayor resigns - Jul 25, 2012
- China mourns quake dead - May 19, 2008
- Two-day mourning in Karnataka for Sai Baba - Apr 24, 2011
Tags: death toll, devastating earthquake, diplomatic missions, emergency response office, flag raising ceremony, jinlong, last monday, mast, mourning period, municipality, national flag, national flags, national mourning, olympic games, quake victims, recreational activities, sichuan, torch relay, torchbearer, xinhua