China-ASEAN trade reach target three years ahead of scheduleApril 28th, 2008 - 7:43 pm ICT by admin
Singapore, April 28 (DPA) Trade between China and the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) reached $202.5 billion last year, beating a $200-billion target three years ahead of schedule, a report said Monday. The pace of growth is increasing, according to the latest figures in the China-ASEAN Business Council (CABC) quarterly report.
Trade reached $54.4 billion in the first quarter of this year, up 26.2 percent from the corresponding three months of 2007.
China imported $28.8 billion worth of goods from ASEAN in the first quarter. Its exports to the region accounted to $25.61, leaving China with a trade deficit of $3.19 billion, according to the data.
Among the issues to be ironed out are the varying levels of economic development among ASEAN countries, said Xu Ningning, deputy secretary-general of the CABC’s secretariat in China.
Other investment barriers include differing labour laws and policies.
An agreement on a China-ASEAN free trade zone is on track to be completed by 2010, Xu said, uniting China’s 1.3 billion people and ASEAN’s 500 million people in a single market.
All products will enjoy zero tariffs under the pact
ASEAN includes Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- India, Asean trade to reach $70 bn in 3 years - Feb 22, 2011
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010
- India-educated Vietnamese may get ASEAN's top job - Aug 11, 2012
- Free trade with Asean to open up bigger prospects - May 15, 2011
- India to negotiate free trade agreements with Indonesia, Thailand soon - Oct 28, 2010
- Chinese, ASEAN leaders meet to boost cooperation - Oct 24, 2009
- China back to trade surplus (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Four nations start Mekong river patrol - Dec 11, 2011
- India, Asean to ink economic pact by year-end: Anand Sharma - Mar 02, 2011
- Close ASEAN cooperation urged to promote growth (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Thailand seeks Indian investments - Jan 25, 2012
- Indian envoy meets Indonesian parliamentary speaker - Jun 12, 2012
- Russia to be regular at ASEAN summits - Oct 30, 2010
- US wants close ties with ASEAN - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: asean business council, asean countries, association of south east asian nations, cabc, deputy secretary general, east asian nations, first quarter, free trade zone, investment barriers, labour laws, malaysia singapore, pact, quarterly report, s 500, secretariat, single market, south east asian, target, trade deficit, zero tariffs