China arrests 12,000 for selling drugs onlineOctober 30th, 2011 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Oct 30 (IANS) Over 12,000 suspects have been arrested in China in a nationwide campaign against the sale of narcotics on the internet, the government said Sunday.
Police across the country busted 144 rings involved in drug production and trafficking and 22 drug-producing sites. Around 308 kg of contraband was confiscated, Xinhua reported citing a statement from the ministry of public security.
A total of 12,125 people were arrested, the ministry said.
The campaign was launched in August after some people were found to be using online video sites to conduct sales of drugs and gather drug addicts, said a narcotics control official.
In March, police found out that people were getting and selling drugs through online chat rooms. Newcomers would only be allowed to enter the online chat room after being introduced by “acquaintances” and after they showed through online videos that they took drugs, the official said.
Among the arrested people, 66 percent are under 35 years old, and around two percent are under 18, with the youngest being 14 years old, he said.
- 54 drug smugglers held in Afghanistan - Jan 10, 2011
- Iran busts drug smuggling racket - May 31, 2011
- 32 arrested in Bosnia for drug trafficking - Jul 02, 2010
- 2.3 tonnes of marijuana seized in Mexico - Oct 09, 2011
- Pakistani executed in Saudi Arabia - Sep 05, 2012
- 35 law-breakers held in Pakistan - Feb 14, 2012
- China arrests over 900 in tainted pork crackdown - Aug 29, 2011
- Over 20 held in China drug bust - Mar 15, 2012
- Six foreigners held with heroin worth Rs.11 crore - Aug 05, 2011
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- Drugs worth Rs.5 crore seized in Bengal - Feb 05, 2012
- China busts 600 online criminal gangs - Jul 26, 2012
- Chinese police bust drug ring - Jun 28, 2012
- US busts drug ring - Nov 01, 2011
- Four held with 221 kg of marijuana in Delhi - Apr 07, 2011