China announce men’s team for Olympic footballJuly 23rd, 2008 - 1:33 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 23 (Xinhua) Charlton Athletic playmaker Zheng Zhi has been named the captain of the 18-man Chinese men’s Olympic football squad. Zheng is one of the three over-age players allowed in the team. The other two are Shanghai Shenhua defender Li Weifeng, and Shandong Luneng striker Han Peng.
The squad was announced by Yin Tiesheng, who replaced former head coach Ratomir Dujkovic of Serbia. Dujkovic’s role has been reduced to that of an adviser.
Dujkovic was removed from his job three weeks before the Games because the players were unhappy with his training method and strategies. The Serbian coach retains his title of head coach but his work involves mainly analysing the opponents.
Yin, 52, was coach of Chinese league team Qingdao and was head coach of China’s men’s under-20 team in 2004.
Goalkeepers: Qiu Shengjiong, Liu Zhenli
Defenders: Li Weifeng, Feng Xiaoting, Yuan Weiwei, Tan Wangsong, Lu Jianjun,
Midfielders: Zheng Zhi, Zhou Haibin, Cui Peng, Zhao Xuri, Chen Tao, Hao Junmin
Forwards: Han Peng, Gao Lin, Dong Fangzhuo, Jiang Ning
- China beat Australia 1-0 in Olympic warm-up football game - Jul 21, 2008
- Spain defeat China 1-0 in Euro 2012 warm-up - Jun 04, 2012
- Three national team coaches invovled in soccer scandals in China - Dec 23, 2011
- China puts Serbian football coach on back seat - Jul 18, 2008
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- China's badminton coach plays down Olympic hopes - Jul 11, 2012
- Thailand Open: Four Indians, including Saina, in quarters (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Chinese judokas set sight on heavyweight classes - Jul 09, 2012
- Li Na loses in first round of China Open - Oct 02, 2011
- Wang Shixian left out Chinese Olympic badminton squad - Jul 11, 2012
- Chinese man who killed four policemen executed - Apr 26, 2011
- Thailand Open: Saina struggles to get past first round - Jun 07, 2012
- Chinese artist Ai Weiwei released on bail - Jun 22, 2011
- China vows to take back Uber Cup - May 18, 2012
- China created 9.9 mn new jobs - Oct 25, 2011
Tags: charlton athletic, chen tao, chinese men, dong fangzhuo, football squad, gao lin, haibin, hao junmin, head coach, li weifeng, midfielders, olympic football, peng zhao, playmaker, shandong luneng, shanghai shenhua, weiwei, xinhua, zheng zhi, zhenli