China acts against foreign prostitutesAugust 1st, 2012 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 1 (IANS) Authorities in the Chinese capital have been urged to stem the entry of foreign sex workers following the arrest of four such women in a downtown club.
Police raided Qixingdao bar in Chaoyang district July 18 and arrested 15 suspected prostitutes, including the four foreigners, China Daily reported Wednesday.
Located in an office building close to many embassies, the bar was closed Tuesday, the Public Security Management Corps said.
Corps spokesman Ou Yang said the arrests were part of a citywide campaign against entertainment venues that allow obscene shows or prostitution.
Ou did not disclose further information about the arrested women, including their nationalities.
Many of the willing prostitutes are in China on student, tourist or temporary-worker visas, the daily said.
Another official was quoted as saying that foreigners worked as prostitutes not only in big cities like Beijing and Guangzhou but also in smaller areas.
“The majority of foreign sex workers are from neighboring countries such as Russia and Vietnam,” the official said.
Prostitution is illegal in China. People face an administrative detention of 15 days if found working as prostitutes.
- Homosexual prostitute racket busted in China - Jan 11, 2012
- Man kills one for ogling his car romp - Dec 23, 2011
- Man attacking call girls held - Jan 12, 2012
- Porn blogger in China gets jail term - Jun 30, 2011
- World's biggest census begins in China (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
- Census begins in China - Nov 01, 2010
- More foreign women being trafficked to China - Dec 05, 2011
- Rise in trafficking of Chinese women - Jan 24, 2011
- Sex workers demand legal brothels in China, hold protests too - Aug 04, 2010
- Castro's China visit to help speed up Cuban economy (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Indians among foreign sex workers held in Malaysia - Nov 29, 2009
- China seeks peaceful solution to differences with neighbours (Lead) - Mar 06, 2012
- China seeks 'better external environment' - Jan 04, 2012
- Man held for locking up women as sex slaves - Sep 23, 2011
- China busts transnational prostitution ring in Beijing - Dec 11, 2010
Tags: administrative detention, beijing, chaoyang district, china acts, china daily, chinese capital, citywide campaign, club police, embassies, entertainment venues, foreigners, guangzhou, nationalities, prostitutes, prostitution, public security, security management, sex workers, temporary worker, worker visas