‘Chilled beer reception’ planned for Brit soldiers returning from AfghanistanSeptember 7th, 2009 - 12:13 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 7 (ANI): Defence chiefs in the UK are planning a “chilled” reception for the boys returning from a tumultuous Afghanistan to their homeland after a gruelling six months, by handing them beer cans as they board the flight back home.
A “Beer for the boys” campaign has been started to collect cans of lager or bitter for men and women of the returning armed forces.
Many breweries, including Scottish and Newcastle and the Dutch brewery Grolsch, veterans’ associations, and City of London guilds have offered thousands of cans.
However, the team at Brize Norton, which manages the flights of the RAF, wants more beer.
“I felt it would be a nice thing to do on behalf of a grateful nation and the RAF,” the Daily Star quoted Wing Commander Steve Chadwick, who initiated the “Beer for the boys” campaign, as saying.
“A can of cold beer thrust into the hand of a soldier marks the point when he knows he is going home after six months of fighting,” he added. (ANI)
- RAF holds staff course to beat fear of flying - Apr 21, 2011
- Combat The Chill With Best-Rated Light Beers - Jan 16, 2011
- 'Breakfast Beer' set to be launched in NZ horrifies alcohol watchdogs - Apr 04, 2011
- No takers for world's first gay beer - Feb 20, 2011
- Steroid-packed beer contains Olympic banned substances - Jul 26, 2012
- South African brewers launch "military operation" to avert World Cup beer crisis! - May 31, 2010
- Kingfisher was official beer at New York tennis tourney - Jul 27, 2012
- Mexican brewery produces first gay beer - Feb 17, 2011
- The beer hug: Bihar emerging as brewery hub - Jan 16, 2012
- Prince William's rescue crew saves the life of Greg Watkins - Nov 22, 2010
- Britain returns stolen artefacts to Afghanistan - Jul 19, 2012
- Boeing says it has hands full with Indian defence deals - Apr 21, 2011
- Best-Rated Light Beers For A Chilled Winter Evening - Jan 15, 2011
- German brewery wins right to market 'F**king' beer! - Mar 30, 2010
- Indie music in India can beef up on Heineken beer - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: armed forces, beer cans, breweries, brize norton, city of london, cold beer, commander steve, daily star, defence chiefs, dutch brewery, going home, grateful nation, london guilds, men and women, nice thing, raf, scottish and newcastle, six months, steve chadwick, wing commander