Chilean held for stealing ice from a glacierFebruary 1st, 2012 - 12:54 pm ICT by IANS
Santiago, Feb 1 (IANS/EFE) Chilean police nabbed a man who was transporting in a refrigerated truck 5,200 kg of ice that had been removed from a glacier, the cargo apparently destined for bars and restaurants here in the capital.
“It’s the first time that a situation with these characteristics has been reported,” the chief prosecutor in the southern region of Aysen, Jose Moris, told EFE Tuesday.
Last Friday, rangers noticed the man transporting the ice from Jorge Montt glacier located in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park, said the provincial chief of the forest service, Piero Caviglio.
The glacier can only be accessed by water after a four-hour trip from Caleta Tortel, a village linked to the town of Cochrane by 128 km of dirt road.
Upon being informed that the ice had been loaded into a truck in Caleta Tortel, police set up a roadblock to enable them to stop and examine the vehicle, where they found the stolen ice.
A police spokesperson said that the cargo was in large plastic sacks.
Apparently, a Santiago company had hired the driver to transport the ice on the long journey to the capital.
Moris said that given the normal price of ice, the cargo of glacier ice had a value of 3.5 million pesos ($7,000), although it is presumed that the going rate for 1,000-year-old ice from a glacier could be double the normal price.
While authorities are investigating the matter, the glacier ice, rather than cooling drinks in the capital, will now be dumped into the pools of a farmers association in Cochrane, which will use it to irrigate local crops that are being affected by the drought that prevails in parts of Chile.
- Thousands protest power project in Chile - May 30, 2011
- 80 prisoners, 18 guards hurt in Chile jail violence - Dec 17, 2010
- Four die in 50-vehicle pile-up in Chile - Oct 13, 2011
- Moderate earthquake shakes Chile's capital - Apr 05, 2010
- Punish soccer officials for fan violence, says Chile lawmaker - Jul 18, 2012
- Soccer player dies during match in Brazil - Jul 09, 2012
- Moderate 5.7-magnitude earthquake hits central Chile - May 22, 2010
- Truck carrying $6.5 mn in art works stolen in Spain - Dec 03, 2010
- 11 killed in Mexico accident - Jan 11, 2011
- Chile quake toll rises to 82 - Feb 28, 2010
- Colombian soldiers caught carrying cocaine - Jul 06, 2012
- Tiger mauls zookeeper in Chile - Jul 31, 2012
- Woman who snatched baby from Chilean hospital nabbed - May 15, 2012
- Rebuilding quake-destroyed hospitals to cost Chile $3.6 bn - Mar 09, 2010
- Ban cell phone use while driving: US safety panel - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: aysen, bernardo o higgins, caleta tortel, chief prosecutor, chilean police, cochrane, crops, dirt road, drought, farmers association, forest service, glacier ice, higgins national park, last friday, long journey, moris, piero, plastic sacks, police spokesperson, roadblock