Child dies after father throws her from bridge (Lead)January 29th, 2009 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Jan 29 (DPA) A four-year-old child died Thursday after being thrown by her father from Melbourne’s highest bridge.Motorists were horrified when a car stopped in the morning rush hour and the girl was flung 50 metres into the Yarra River below.
The 36-year-old man was arrested an hour later and has been charged with murder.
Two children aged six and eight were with him in the car and witnessed their sister being thrown from the bridge.
Within 10 minutes the girl was pulled from the water. Paramedics worked on her for 45 minutes but she died in hospital some time later.
“This is a dreadful set of circumstances, and often you think you’ve seen it all but you haven’t,” Detective Inspector Steve Clark said. “There have been some ongoing Family Court matters, as I understand it, between the father and his wife.”
Clark told reporters that fellow motorists had no chance of stopping what they saw happening. “It all happened fairly quickly, as I understand it, nobody had the opportunity,” Clark said. “He got straight out of the car, taken the young girl and walked to the edge of the bridge.”
- Australian father throws child from bridge - Jan 29, 2009
- Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish: Steve Jobs' speech at Stanford - Oct 06, 2011
- Apples fall from sky in Coventry - Dec 15, 2011
- A three minute nightmare that shook Tokyo - Mar 12, 2011
- Indian-origin duo killed over parking dispute - Dec 13, 2011
- What makes men tick and what winds them up - Apr 10, 2011
- What makes men tick and what winds them up? - Apr 10, 2011
- Feels like death, wrote Briton on Facebook before dying - Oct 06, 2011
- Honeymoon murder victim's uncle blasts husband - Jan 10, 2011
- Mahi is dead; end came on first or second day, doctors say (Second Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- She underwent breast cancer surgery at 99! - Aug 31, 2011
- 10-day-old girl dies in washing machine - Nov 08, 2010
- Teenager Killed As Slug Causes Traffic Light Failure - Jan 31, 2011
- Anger, sorrow as Mahi dies in Haryana borewell (Roundup) - Jun 24, 2012
- Stopped by cops, clicked by media, Punjab girl commits suicide - Aug 30, 2012