Chief coach Alam unhappy over Ali’s appointmentMay 22nd, 2009 - 8:34 pm ICT by IANS
By Omar Khalid
Karachi, May 22 (IANS) Chief coach Intikhab Alam was left fuming after the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) appointed former Test batsman Basit Ali as the national team’s batting coach without his consent.
According to sources, Intikhab is not pleased with the PCB’s decision to bring in Basit as batting coach just days before the start of the Twenty20 World Cup in England from June 5.
Another reason why he is unhappy with the move is that the appointment has been made on the recommendation of PCB’s director-general Javed Miandad, a former Pakistan captain.
Earlier, Miandad was kept at a distance from the affairs of the national cricket team and was asked to work on revamping domestic cricket by PCB chairman Ijaz Butt.
The idea of appointing a batting coach was floated by former captain Zaheer Abbas, after Pakistan batsmen failed in the one-day series against Australia in UAE from April 22-May 7. Pakistan lost the ODI series 2-3 against a second string Australian side.
The team is currently playing a series of Twenty20 practice matches in Lahore in a bid to get ready for the tournament to be played in London and Nottingham.
The England-bound players will later feature in the National Twenty20 Cup to be played in Lahore from May 25-29. The team is scheduled to leave for London May 30 and will play a couple of warm-up games against South Africa and India before the start of the biennial spectacle.
Pakistan is bracketed with host England and underdog Netherlands in Group B of the tournament.
- PCB appoints Miandad as Pak team's 'batting consultant' - Nov 27, 2010
- Miandad refused coaching offer due to personal reasons: Alam - Apr 13, 2011
- Miandad declines to be batting consultant for Pakistan team - Dec 01, 2010
- Whatmore to coach Pakistan's cricket team - Mar 03, 2012
- Pakistan looking to blood youngsters in T20 team - Jul 18, 2011
- Abdul Qadir resigned due to "lack of independence", dispute over Akhtar's selection - Dec 29, 2010
- PCB must look beyond Miandad for Pak batting coach: Waqar - Apr 14, 2011
- PCB's axing of players instead of management "joke of the century": Pak newspaper - Apr 07, 2011
- Miandad opts out of NZ tour to avoid confusion - Dec 10, 2010
- Former PCB chief against having batting coach in Pak team - Apr 12, 2011
- Abottabad venue for Af-Pak cricket match - May 10, 2011
- Batsmen need to show improvement: Waqar - Apr 13, 2011
- Miandad rubbishes multiple coach theory - Aug 17, 2010
- Yousuf undergoes fitness test, eyes comeback - Apr 25, 2012
- Miandad refuses Afridi's request to join Pak team to New Zealand - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: abbas, basit ali, batting coach, chief coach, director general, domestic cricket, host england, javed miandad, karachi, lahore, national cricket team, odi series, omar khalid, pakistan captain, pakistan cricket board, second string, test batsman, twenty20 cup, twenty20 world cup, warm up games