Chicago Blizzard 2011 Shuts Down The CityFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 3:49 pm ICT by GD
By Gina Gomez
Feb 2, (THAINDIAN NEWS) The citizens of Chicago were bracing up for the biggest blizzard in a decade and the colossal storm hit the city on Tuesday. Some media outlets calls it “Snowmaggedon” and the Mayor of Chicago, Richard M. Daley called it a storm of “historic magnitude”. A massive windstorm stretching from New Mexico to Maine hit many states of United States with snow, freezing rain and high winds on Tuesday. The snowstorm started at about 3 pm and it fell at 1 to 2 inches per hour. The Weather pundits are of the opinion that the storm might affect one third of U. S. population and at the same time and it might destroy the grain and other livestock movement of the respective states.
The National Weather Service officials have asked people to stay indoor to avoid accidents and at the same time they said that the blinding snow and strong winds would make the journey somewhat impossible for the people. The officials of the National Weather Service has called it a life “threatening storm”. The Weather Service has issued storm watches and at the same time advisories and warnings have been issued in 30 states and eight other cities. There will be heavy and moderate snowfall of 8 to 15 inches in northern and central Midwest. However, the local forecasters are of the opinion that in Chicago, the snow accumulation would be about 2 feet.
Although The National Weather Service has reported that the blizzard might end on Wednesday, the temperature would be below freeing point. Mike Palmerino, a forecaster of a reputed media network said that this blizzard is the largest natural calamity. He also said that both local transport and flights have received a major set back for the blizzard.
- Chicago Blizzard Leaves City In Mayhem - Feb 03, 2011
- Chicago Blizzard 2011 Disrupts Normal Life, Smacks Cities - Feb 03, 2011
- Huge Snowstorm moving into Kansas - Oct 31, 2009
- Chicago Citizens To Face Heavy Blizzard - Feb 01, 2011
- Washington, New York snowed in, shutters government (lead) - Feb 10, 2010
- Blizzard dumps heavy snow on US Mid-Atlantic - Feb 07, 2010
- Milwaukee Blizzard To Hit The City Hard - Feb 02, 2011
- Chicago Midwest Brace For Winter Storm, Flights Canceled To Ensure Safety - Feb 01, 2011
- Snowed-in Washington digging itself out of 'historic mess' - Feb 08, 2010
- Snow storm leaves Washington battered, moves north (Lead) - Dec 20, 2009
- Winter storm cripples two-thirds of U.S. - Feb 03, 2011
- Massive snowstorm barrels into paralysed Washington - Feb 10, 2010
- Offices, schools close as Eastern US braces for blizzard - Feb 06, 2010
- Strong winter storm warning for the New England area - Feb 25, 2010
- Blizzard closes D.C.-area airports - Feb 11, 2010
Tags: blizzard, central midwest, feb 2, forecasters, freezing rain, gina gomez, high winds, livestock movement, local transport, massive windstorm, mayor of chicago, national weather service, natural calamity, richard m daley, snow accumulation, snowfall, snowstorm, storm watches, strong winds, weather service officials