Cherie had an ‘incredible instinct’ for offending people, says Tony BlairSeptember 2nd, 2010 - 12:38 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 2 (ANI): Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair has revealed in his memoirs that wife Cherie had an ‘incredible instinct’ for offending people, especially the powerful ones.
Blair sought to dispel some commonly held notions about his wife, insisting that she got along just fine with the Queen, and did not take showers with her controversial “lifestyle guru” Carole Caplin.
Blair, a leading barrister and part-time judge had quite an explosive relationship with the media during her decade in Downing Street.
She was accused of meddling in politics and criticised for buying two flats in Bristol in 2002 using the help of Caplin’s conman boyfriend, Peter Foster.
But Blair praised Cherie, saying that she had made some good choices.
“She chose, rightly in my view, to remain a person with a career rather than become a political wife,” The Scotsman quoted Blair as saying.
“I am not sure in retrospect that it’s possible, given the degree of scrutiny today,” he added.
Blair also describes how his wife adapted to her new position in the public spotlight after Labour was swept into power in 1997.
“Cherie decided to remake her image: get fit, look good, carry herself like the well-known figure she was becoming,” he wrote.
“In this, Carole Caplin was a great support, as she was to me when fitness became more of a preoccupation. She did a superb job for Cherie, made her look and feel good when Cherie was suddenly transported from one world (professional Bar) to another (tabloid press).” (ANI)
- Tony and Cherie Blair's sex secrets set to be revealed? - Sep 18, 2010
- Tony Blair's wife flogs his autograph on eBay - Oct 26, 2010
- Oz conman says Blair fathered his ex-girlfriend's child - May 25, 2009
- Cherie Sells Tony Blair Signature for 10 Pounds on Ebay - Oct 28, 2010
- 'I was an animal in the bedroom', says Tony Blair - Sep 02, 2010
- Tony Blair's memoirs 'A Journey' nominated for Bad Sex Award! - Oct 15, 2010
- Tony Blair's daughter defies father's wishes - Dec 12, 2009
- Frank Bruno giving 'friend' Cherie Blair nutrition tips at spa! - Jul 16, 2010
- Cherie Blair wore pendant to 'ward off evil spirits, cope with life at No 10' - Jan 16, 2011
- 'Cherie allowed to wear pendant to cope with number 10' - Jan 15, 2011
- Cherie Blair sells Tony Blair's signature for a mere 10 Pounds on the auction site eBay - Oct 27, 2010
- I feel like an NRI when in India: Cherie Blair - Dec 10, 2011
- Bush first bonded with Blair over comedy film, 'Meet the Parents' - Nov 10, 2010
- Tony Blair calls off book bash over protest threat - Sep 09, 2010
- Bristol Palin's memoir to hit stands this summer - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: barrister, carole caplin, conman, controversial lifestyle, criticised, downing street, instinct, minister tony blair, new position, notions, political wife, preoccupation, prime minister tony blair, professional bar, public spotlight, retrospect, scotsman, scrutiny, tabloid press, tony blair