Cherie Blair says veils prevent Muslim women from expressing their personalitiesNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:12 am ICT by admin
“Women covering their heads, women dressing modestly, I have no problem with at all. I think, however, that if you get to a stage where a woman is not able to express her personality because you can’t see her face, then you do start to have to ask whether this is something that is actually acknowledging the woman’s right to be a person in her own right,” she added.
Later, in a speech at Chatham House, Cherie argued that discrimination against women was often due to distortion of the true message of some faiths, usually by male leaders.
She pointed to the way Islamic Sharia law has been interpreted.
“It is not laid down in the Koran that women can be beaten by their husbands or that their evidence should be devalued, as it is in some Islamic courts,” she said.
She also referred to legislation in Egypt and Orthodox Jewish communities curtailing a woman’s ability to start divorce proceedings and called for more campaigning for women’s rights in Iran, where they can be stoned to death for adultery. (ANI)
- Wrong to see Muslim women who cover hair or body as a threat, says Cherie Blair - Nov 05, 2010
- Egyptian channel with veiled women launches broadcast - Jul 21, 2012
- France puts burqua ban into effect - Apr 11, 2011
- Burqa empowers women, says British minister - Jul 19, 2010
- Tony Blair's sis-n-law declares 'she's a Muslim' - Oct 25, 2010
- In cosmopolitan Karachi, women prefer hijab to burqa - Nov 17, 2010
- Italy set to be next European country to ban burka for 'security reasons' - Oct 08, 2010
- Cherie Blair sells Tony Blair's signature for a mere 10 Pounds on the auction site eBay - Oct 27, 2010
- Muslim women should be allowed to wear burqa: Tory chairperson - Aug 03, 2010
- Oz school director fraud trial: Prosecution witness seeks to wear 'burka' in court - Aug 06, 2010
- Cheryl Cole supports same-sex marriage - Jun 16, 2012
- Pakistani woman publicly lashed by Taliban wants justice - Nov 30, 2010
- Can the burqa coexist with the bikini? - Mar 19, 2011
- Iranian woman, to be stoned to death, may get hanged - Dec 26, 2011
- Iranian authorities say that widow won't be stoned - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: adultery, cherie blair, discrimination against women, divorce proceedings, faiths, honour, islamic courts, islamic sharia law, jewish communities, koran, laid down, male leaders, muslim women, orthodox jewish, radio four, religious beliefs, see her face, true message, veils, women dressing