Cherie Blair attends launch of Royal Mail stamps ‘dedicated’ to Subrata RoyApril 11th, 2011 - 5:57 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 11 (ANI): It has emerged that Cherie Blair recently accepted an invitation to attend the unveiling of stamps ‘dedicated’ to Indian billionaire Subrata Roy..
The wife of former British Prime Minister Tony Blair is known for hobnobbing with the rich and famous. But even for her it was a glamorous ceremony too far, reports the Daily Mail.
The event also featured Commons Speaker Jon Bercow, who was called upon to give an address praising his host.
However, when the stamps were unveiled in the plush surroundings of London’s Grosvenor House hotel, guests began to realise that not was all it seemed.
It later emerged that the images of Sahara Group owner could have been placed on the stamps for as little as 8.30 pounds for a set of 10.
In invitations to the event, guests were told by Roy’s wife Swapna: ‘It is a great honour to my husband… that a postal stamp is being issued in his name by the Royal Mail of the United Kingdom.’
A number of images of the businessman who owns the Indian Premier League Pune Warriors cricket team were revealed to the 60 guests, including Labour donor Lord Paul.
“I don’t have voice to express my heartfelt gratitude to Royal Mail for issuing the special stamp, said Roy.
‘I don’t think I deserve it. I will try to come up to the expectation of such a great honour.’
The stamps can in fact be bought online via the Royal Mail’s website and are known as ‘Smilers’.
It is believed the stamps were bought through an agent in India, and Sahara Group purchased a total of 10,000, according to the Sunday Times. (ANI)
- Royal Mail turns down 'rude' Bamforth postcard stamps - Apr 08, 2011
- Sahara pick up Lucknow franchise of HI League - Jul 23, 2012
- Big B, Priyanka to attend opening of hi-tech Pune stadium - Apr 08, 2012
- Sahara not to aid sports federations for London Games failure - Aug 13, 2012
- Cherie Blair wore pendant to 'ward off evil spirits, cope with life at No 10' - Jan 16, 2011
- Who wouldn't want Mauritius trip: Cherie Blair at poverty meet - Sep 24, 2010
- 'Cherie allowed to wear pendant to cope with number 10' - Jan 15, 2011
- Fraud case: Subrata Roy gets relief in high court (Lead) - Feb 09, 2011
- Pune Warriors opt to bat against Rajasthan Royals - May 08, 2012
- Pune Warriors put RCB in to bat - May 11, 2012
- Mallya pumps in 20 million pounds into Force India operation - Mar 13, 2012
- Mallya pumps in $32 mn into Force India (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- IPL all but over for 'rested' Ganguly - May 11, 2012
- Blairs now buy house for daughter - Aug 28, 2010
- Cameron, Beckham among royal wedding guests - Apr 29, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,