Chennai as Davis Cup venue never in doubt: Khanna(Lead)April 18th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 18 (IANS) The International Tennis Federation (ITF) decision Friday to confirm Chennai as the venue of the India-Australia Davis Cup tie, from May 8-10, was “unanimous”.
Revealing this, All India Tennis Association (AITA) secretary-general Anil Khanna told IANS Saturday that four of the five members in the Davis Cup committee voted for Chennai, the lone dissenter being Tennis Australia which voted for shifting the venue of the Asia-Oceania Group I third round tie from the southern metropolis, citing security concerns.
“The decision was unanimous. Four members voted in our favour and expectedly Australia voted against us. I was confident from the start that the decision will be in our favour.
“We got an e-mail from the ITF late last night. The Davis Cup committee considered the report of its security agency which visited Chennai. It said Chennai is a safe venue and that AITA is prepared to hold the tie,” said Khanna, who is in Chennai to oversee the preparations for the tie.
“The ITF has confirmed that the Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Zone Group I second round tie between India and Australia will take place at the SDAT Tennis Stadium in Chennai May 8-10,” ITF said in a statement.
“The location and venue were approved by the Davis Cup Committee following a positive report from the ITF’s security consultants.”
The winners of the tie will qualify for the World Group play-off.
- World tennis body voted for Chennai: Khanna - Apr 18, 2009
- Australia mulling boycott of Davis Cup tie - Apr 18, 2009
- Mahesh Bhupathi opts out of Davis Cup tie - Mar 06, 2012
- Indian tennis body sore with ITF for letting Australia off lightly - May 23, 2009
- India declared winner after Australia forfeits Davis Cup tie (Intro Roundup) - Apr 26, 2009
- Play or forfeit Davis Cup tie: AITA to Australia - Mar 27, 2009
- India will host next Davis Cup tie against Australia - Jul 17, 2009
- After 19 years, Chandigarh to host Davis Cup tie - Sep 02, 2012
- Paes to miss Davis Cup tie against Japan - Sep 13, 2011
- India retain Davis Cup team for Australia tie - Apr 16, 2009
- India may go back to grass if they play at home - Jun 20, 2011
- ITF shifts Davis Cup from Pakistan to Hong Kong over security concerns - Dec 23, 2010
- Indian team leaves for World junior tennis finals - Jul 29, 2011
- TA to appeal if suspended for Davis Cup pull-out - Apr 26, 2009
- Australia to appeal against Chennai as Davis Cup venue - Apr 19, 2009
Tags: aita, asia oceania, chennai, cup asia, cup committee, davis cup, davis cup tie, e mail, group play, india australia, international tennis federation, itf, lone dissenter, security consultants, southern metropolis, tennis association, tennis australia, tennis stadium, world group, zone group