Cheney is ‘a strong believer’ in waterboardingJune 2nd, 2009 - 12:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 2 (ANI): Former US Vice President Dick Cheney has defended the need for applying the interrogative technique of waterboarding on Al Qaeda terrorists, calling it a “well done” technique that gathered valuable information from unusually bad guys.
“I’m a strong believer in it. I thought it was well done,” the New York Daily News quoted Cheney as telling a National Press Club audience.
Cheney answered written questions after speaking at a ceremony for reporting awards named for the late President Gerald Ford, whom Cheney served as White House chief of staff.Cheney said the controversial policy of simulating drowning grew out of a CIA request for guidance on “what can you do that’s appropriate and what you can do that’s not appropriate.”
Waterboarding was banned by the Bush administration in 2003. President Obama has described waterboarding as repugnant to American values.
Cheney, however, remains unconvinced.
“I don’t believe that we engaged in torture,” he argued.
Unlike many of his predecessors, the former vice-president has taken on a high public profile since leaving office, criticizing the Obama administration for deciding to close the Guantanamo Bay prison camp and charging that Obama’s policies have made America more vulnerable to another mass-casualty terrorist attack like 9/11.He admits that he has zero “tolerance or patience” for second-guessers. “If I had it to do all over again, I would do exactly the same thing. … Those individuals who wished us harm and who were prepared to kill thousands of Americans … got what they had coming to them,” he said. (ANI)
- Claims that US is less safe under Obama not credible: Powell - Feb 22, 2010
- Bush almost dumped "Darth Vader of administration" Cheney as running mate - Nov 03, 2010
- Cheney believes Obama will only serve one term as president - Jan 18, 2011
- Former Vice President Dick Cheney Calls President Barack Obama "One Term President" - Jan 19, 2011
- Obama Administration will raise the risk of a terrorist attack: Cheney - Mar 16, 2009
- Obama said US can absorb another 9/11, claims Woodward book - Sep 23, 2010
- Obama, Cheney duel over Guantanamo - May 22, 2009
- Obama, Cheney cross swords over Guantanamo - May 22, 2009
- Republican Dick Cheney Voices That He Offered To Quit The U.S. Vice Presidency On Three Occasions - Jan 18, 2011
- Cheneys warning of another 9/11 in the offing angers Democrats - Feb 06, 2009
- Dick Cheney claims in memoir that Colin Powell took cheap shots at him during Bush era - Aug 29, 2011
- Movement to foot Cheney for 2012 presidential elections against Obama - Dec 06, 2009
- I hope CIA director was misquoted: Cheney - Jun 16, 2009
- Dick Cheney Says He Offered To Quit Vice Presidency Thrice - Jan 18, 2011
- Obama fires back at Cheney over Guantanamo comments - Mar 22, 2009
Tags: american values, club audience, controversial policy, dick cheney, former vice president, gerald ford, guantanamo bay prison, guantanamo bay prison camp, mass casualty, new york daily news, obama, president dick cheney, president gerald ford, us vice president, vice president dick, vice president dick cheney, waterboarding, white house chief of staff, york daily news, zero tolerance