Chemical truck overturns, halts trains in ChinaSeptember 5th, 2011 - 7:39 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Sep 5 (IANS) Eighteen trains were halted in a Chinese province after a truck overturned and the chemicals it was carrying leaked out, triggering a power shutdown in the railway contact system, the railways ministry said.
The incident took place Sunday evening in northwest Gansu province, Xinhua reported. Railway traffic was halted for over seven hours, affecting a total of 18 trains.
The truck, which was running on a parallel road to the railway track, was loaded with silicon tetrachloride.
When it overturned, the chemical leaked out and mixed with rain, and eroded the railway’s contact system, leading to the power shutdown, the ministry said.
The trains were just three km away from the accident site, it said.
Windows of the trains were closed and the trains were taken back to nearby stations. Passengers’ health was not affected, the ministry said.
A section of the track reopened to traffic Sunday midnight after power supply was restored, local railway authorities said.
- Overturned chemical truck halts trains in China - Sep 04, 2011
- Chinese province school buses to have GPS - Feb 24, 2012
- Shutdown hits trains and road traffic in Bihar - Sep 20, 2012
- 20 injured as Punjab Mail derails near Rohtak (Lead) - May 06, 2012
- 26 injured as Punjab Mail derails near Rohtak (Second Lead) - May 06, 2012
- Power crisis now trips 22 states, 600 million people hit (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power crisis now trips 19 states, 600 million people hit (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Shutdown near total in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- NDA-called shutdown draws wide response in Assam - May 31, 2012
- Powerless again, Northern and Eastern Grid break down (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Blasts target rail tracks in Pakistan - Feb 27, 2012
- Maoists again blow up rail track in Jharkhand - Dec 05, 2011
- Heavy showers disrupt traffic on Konkan rail route - Jun 17, 2011
- Rescue effort on at China high-speed train crash (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- 21 dead in China accident - Oct 29, 2011
Tags: chemicals, china beijing, chinese province, contact system, gansu province, nearby stations, northwest, parallel road, power shutdown, power supply, railway authorities, railway track, railway traffic, railways, seven hours, silicon tetrachloride, sunday evening, sunday midnight, trains in china, xinhua