Chelsea go second as Liverpool are held at WiganJanuary 29th, 2009 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 29 (DPA) Chelsea beat Middlesbrough 2-0 to move up to second place in the English Premier League after Liverpool’s title hopes took another blow with a 1-1 draw at Wigan Athletic.Two second-half goals Wednesday from Salomon Kalou sealed the points for Chelsea, putting them above Liverpool on goal difference, two points behind leaders Manchester United.
Arsenal lost more ground after they were held 1-1 at Everton, while Manchester City and West Ham United both earned victories.
Chelsea were frustrated for the best part of an hour at Stamford Bridge as Middlesbrough matched them but Kalou broke the deadlock in the 58th minute.
The forward then made sure of the points nine minutes from time when he headed Frank Lampard’s corner into the net.
Chelsea and Liverpool play each other at Anfield this Sunday and after Wednesday’s results, Rafael Benitez’s men will need to win that match to get their title challenge back on track.
Yossi Benayoun put Liverpool in front with a superb finish four minutes before half-time, but the visitors could not find a second goal.
A foul by Lucas Leiva on Jason Koumas gave Wigan a penalty seven minutes from the end and Mido, on his debut, converted from the spot.
Wigan almost won it in injury time when new signing Hugo Rodallega smashed a free-kick onto the crossbar, but the two sides had to settle for a point.
Robben van Persie scored a last-gasp equaliser as Arsenal salvaged a point with a 1-1 draw at Everton, for whom Tim Cahill had scored the opening goal.
Craig Bellamy scored on his debut for Manchester City as they beat Newcastle United 2-1 to move up to ninth, while Carlton Cole was on the scoresheet again as West Ham beat Hull City 2-0.
Blackburn Rovers drew 2-2 with Bolton Wanderers in the night’s other game, thanks to a late equaliser from Benni McCarthy.
- Manchester City top Premier League as Bolton takes emotional win - Mar 25, 2012
- Chelsea thrash Wigan to lift Premier League title - May 10, 2010
- Wigan strikes late to draw with Chelsea - Dec 18, 2011
- Manchester United stay in hunt as Chelsea suffer setback - Dec 27, 2011
- Pressure on Chelsea as Manchester United go top; Hull woe - Apr 25, 2010
- Manchester City draw in Premier League - Apr 01, 2012
- Chelsea, Arsenal win, Tottenham lose to Wigan - Aug 28, 2010
- Liverpool, City secure Carling Cup semifinal berths - Nov 30, 2011
- Carroll may start against France in Euro 2012 - May 30, 2012
- Chelsea lose at home to Villa - Jan 01, 2012
- Leaders Chelsea held by Birmingham City; Man City win - Dec 27, 2009
- Euro 2012: Welbeck flick gives England 3-2 win over Sweden - Jun 16, 2012
- Chelsea edge past Burnley to extend lead - Jan 31, 2010
- Swansea outplay Arsenal to record memorable win - Jan 16, 2012
- Chelsea maintain momentum; United second as Arsenal beaten - Nov 22, 2009
Tags: benni mccarthy, blackburn rovers, bolton wanderers, craig bellamy, english premier league, frank lampard, game thanks, goal difference, hugo rodallega, injury time, jason koumas, london jan, lucas leiva, newcastle united, rafael benitez, scoresheet, stamford bridge, tim cahill, title challenge, west ham united